We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beach Review

Ohio
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
Save Topic
Beach Review

I would like some beach reviews for Maui. Trying to decide which area to stay in and I must say a nice swimming beach without coral, shells, clean beach is what we are looking for . Please help. Thx.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,905 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beach Review

Help us help you. What kind of nightly accommodations budget are you on? Do you want a hotel or a condo? What time of year are you coming?

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,728 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beach Review

I like this site for beach descriptions and photos: http://www.hawaiigaga.com/maui-beaches.aspx

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,666 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beach Review

Agree with first 2 posters. I see you have traveled to Florida and Aruba. I know when I go those places we go to a hotel on a certain beach and pretty much flop. Maui- and Hawaii- are not so much like that. Many beautiful beaches and people tend to drive and visit many of them. Wanting to find accommodations on one is understandable, but since there are so many, it is much easier to start with condo vs. hotel and budget and go from there.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Beach Review

Maui beaches are clean, most don't have a lot of shells. The islands are volcanic so there are lots of lava out cropping's that run out into the water, coves and bays and a lot of little reefs off shore. if you are looking for long stretches of sandy beaches I would look at the hotels/condos at Kaanapali and Wailea. Lots of direct beach front properties that you can just walk out onto the beach.

Ohio
Level Contributor
517 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beach Review

Thank you for your suggestions. We stayed at the Royal Laheina 15 yrs ago and liked that beach but none of the accommodations is really to impressive there that I looked at. We are looking for a 1 BR condo direct beachfront. Preferrably a high rise. Thinking of around $200-250 a night for 7 nights. VRBO has some in our price range but not sure of the beach. The Mahana resort looks nice with all the windows and the view is terrific but again not familiar with the beach. Again thanks for your help everyone.

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,113 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Beach Review

Check the prices on www.westmauicondos.com for your dates. Maui Kai, Mahana and Maui Kanaanapali Villas are awesome places to look depending on your travel dates.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 02:09
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,728 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beach Review

Agree with Mamma's suggestions, but I noticed in another thread that you are going in October, so I would be careful with Maui Kaanapali Villas (some major construction going on then, on buildings and pools).

Same with the Mahana - exterior (building only) renovations will be finished in late November I think. If you can get a unit in the Lanai tower, you should be OK for October as by then, I'm pretty sure that any remaining work will be on the Molokai tower. The Mahana doesn't have a swimmable beach in front (we go in next door - in front of Honua Kai, but even there, you have to look for a clearing in the rocks close to shore - but we swim/snorkel there a couple of times a day and love it.) Maui Kai is right beside the Mahana (on the north side) - same thing with the beach there, you have to go in at a spot between shoreline rocks.

Edited: 09 June 2014, 03:14
Lake Tahoe CA
Level Contributor
44 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beach Review

If you wanted to consider Kihei, the Manakai Maui fits your description, with the exception being that prices will be a bit closer to $250-300 for 1 BR. Keawaukapu Beach is really awesome though...

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,379 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Beach Review

In South Kihei, look at Hale Pau Hana and Mana Kai Maui.

Your money will go a bit farther in September, and any time between busy summer and the Thanksgiving holiday. Least expensive is early December, before Christmas.

September is HOT. Be sure you have A/C.

(I'm curious why you want a tall elevator building on Maui -- outside of whale season.)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
48,001 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beach Review

Maybe they just want that OMG view from up high, Sue?

You might check the Whaler Condos-they are def on a great beach and yes, you can get waaaaay up!