We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

Calgary, Canada
1 post
Save Topic
Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

Hi,

We will be travelling to Maui in July 2014 with 2 small children. Our flights back to Canada won't be leaving the island until around 11pm. Knowing that our hotel's check-out time is at 11am, we would like to make arrangements to stay somewhere before our flights without breaking the bank. Does anyone have any suggestions for where to stay for this 12 hour period at a reasonable price?

Thanks!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

Ask for a late check about. They are use to that request you might get as late as 1pm. Most hotels will store you luggage, let you use the facilities and then a courtesy changing room usually as late as 6pm.

Then you would be in position for dinner and the trip to the airport

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

If you book an extra night and leave for the airport when you need to, you will be able to enjoy your final day there, not running around trying to save money. Not to mention that it will be easier on your 2 small kids. That's what we do, pay for an extra night and we enjoy another full day before leaving for the airport.

Boston...
Level Contributor
56 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

How much do you want to pay ?

Kentucky
Level Contributor
529 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

Not sure of the price, but there is a Courtyard there very close to the airport. Its looks very nice from the outside. You could always do what the others suggest of getting your room another night and leaving at your own time to get to the airport in time. Late check out would be good, but you still have quite a few hours to waste and with the little ones in tow, that may make for a very long day.

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,818 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

If you get a room in a different hotel, check in will probably be 3 or 4:00. So you'll still have 4 or 5 hours homeless.

Are you staying in a condo? If so, see if they'll give you a late checkout. It will depend in when their next booking is coming in, whether they will or not. We have been able to stay as late as we wanted for no extra charge when there was not a back to back booking. Other places will let you book the condo for the half day for half a day's rent.

You are smart to come up with a plan now. That last day before a red eye flight is pretty much lost as a vacation day if you are homeless. Good luck and have a fun family time on Maui!

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

There are two hotels that are in Kahului that should have the cheapest rates on Maui. One is the Maui Seaside the other is the Maui Beach Hotel. One was recently renovated but I don't know which one, sorry!! Saw it on a local commercial. I wouldn't have a problem staying at either one, many locals do when traveling from another island.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,543 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

We have stayed at both the Maui Beach Hotel and the Maui Seaside. If you want a place for the kids to swim, i'd choose the Maui Seaside. I like their pool placement better and the rooms are a little bigger. The Seaside rooms had seen their better days too many years ago. However,they state on their web site that the rooms have been updated. But it has been about 5 years since we have stayed here.

The last two years we have stayed at the Maui Beach Hotel on our extra late flight day. The Beach Hotel did a face lift about 10 years ago.

Both have friendly and helpful staff.

We have been able to check into both of these around noon each time.

Edited: 08 June 2014, 21:08
Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,676 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

Seaside has "freshened" some rooms, but not all.Neither place has done what I would call renovations in at least 10 to 12 years. They are okay-but def think "motel 6" style.

Muskego, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
260 posts
93 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

When you book VRBO, we book an extra day. This is really worth it. You are not rushed to leave. A few things I do now: book an early flight i.e. 2pm or book that extra day. One year we packed everything up early and drove around. We couldn't even leave the car for fear of getting things stolen, so that wasn't worth it.

Surprise, Arizona
Level Contributor
58 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Where to book a room on last day before a night time flight?

I totally agree. I figure the cost of an extra night when I budget for the trip. This way you can ENJOY your final day and not stress out.