We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

Narrowed my list to the following places on Maui for September that have A/C and that fit in the budget of $250 plus tax/fees or less.

Feeling nervous about staying from Maui Kai and south due to others complaining about Sewage smells.

Or staying in Mahana due to construction. I wonder just how disruptive the construction would be??

Hoyochi Nikko

Lokelani

Maui Kai

Mahahana

Honua Kai

Royal Lahaina

Kaanapali beach hotel

Sparks, Nevada
Level Contributor
1,733 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

You missed the Westin Villas and Maui Ka'anapali Villas. I have stayed at the Maui Ka'anapali Villas over 10 times....... No Sewage smell, ever!

--Lori

Southern California
Level Contributor
17 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

Staying at Ka'anapali Beach Hotel end of September. I know everyone has their preference of condo or hotel, but we Love KBH. This will be our 4th stay there. If you are a costco member they have a great deal with hotel, breakfast and car. I could not find anything else that beat it. Love driving Napili, and that area and have never smelled sewage.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

Thanks for the Costco tip! I'm not a member, but it might be worth looking into :)

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,892 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

I think in your other thread, you mentioned being on a walkable beach as a priority ... so from your list, anything from Maui Kai south would be ideal for that.

The only place I might worry about sewage odours is if you book a unit at Honua Kai that directly faces the road ... e.g. the 'back side' of HK. Our daughter and her family had a side facing unit in October for 9 days and the odour was never noticed.

Re construction at the Mahana - I think by September the work will be finished on the Lanai Tower and will have moved to the Molokai tower ... but I'm not certain of that ... you would want to get details from the owner or agency. Chase 'n Rainbows keeps a fairly up to date work schedule for various resorts on their site - but it hasn't been updated for the Mahana since last month: westmauicondos.com/content/maintenance-and-c…

I had a quick glance at reviews and I'm not seeing complaints re disruptions from the work going on there ... someone did post about it here in the forum a while ago though. Do you have a particular unit in mind there?

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,222 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

I'd be inclined to choose Honua Kai, but agree that Westin Villas are worth a look.

Then maybe KBH because I do like the old school feel, but old school isn't for everyone.

California
Level Contributor
6,007 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

If you can get Honua Kai at $250. a night your crazy to pass it up. Best place on your list and you can forget that sewage smell complaint.

Overland Park...
Level Contributor
180 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

Stayed 2 weeks at the Maui Kai in mid/late March this year. Never encountered the mentioned sewage smell while at the resort. Barely noticed a smell once or twice when driving south of the resort towards Ka'anapali but even then it was not bad. I've seen speculation that busy times are worse...and we were there during a prime time so not sure if that's true or not. We are west side lovers so I wouldn't hesitate staying at any of the west sites you mentioned. It's Maui...it's all good.

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

Thanks- love hearing the input from everyone!

The place at Mahana that we saw would be the Molokai tower- which would be at a discounted rate, but not sure how much of an annoyance it would be even with the discount.

Barb5775- when you said "It's Maui...it's all good"... that's so great to know :)

Thanks!!

Rochester, NY
Level Contributor
228 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

I heard MKV has construction in sept.

Looked up the KBH costco deal. It seems like a good deal with breakfast and car! Do u know if you can buy your own umbrella and chairs and keep in hotel to avoid daily rental fee?

Any other considerations to help finalize decision ?

Thanks!

Edited: 17 June 2014, 03:45
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,336 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Narrowed down List of places to stay September with A/C

Since all beaches are public, you can take what you want to them. Make sure you get an anchor for the umbrella otherwise it could go flying!!