We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honu Seafood and Pasta

San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Honu Seafood and Pasta

Hi everyone - Just wanted to see if anyone had an opinion on Honu Seafood and Pasta? I have that restaurant listed for dinner on our second night of our trip (based on pictures the Mac 'n' Cheese looks to die for). But, I remember it not being in the heart of Front St. We like good food, but also good atmosphere. Does this place fit the bill?

The other places we plan to eat at are:

-SHERATON CLIFF DIVE GRILL (Arrival Lunch)

-SEA HOUSE (Breakfast/Happy Hour)

-MERRIMAN'S (Appetizers/Drinks)

-PINEAPPLE GRILL (Dinner)

-KIMO'S (Happy hour/Dinner)

-LEILANI'S (Happy Hour)

-LEODA'S PIE SHOP (Dessert)

-MONKEYPOD KITCHEN (Happy Hour/Dinner)

-COCONUTS (Dinner)

-KA'ANA KITCHEN (Breakfast)

-MAMA'S FISH HOUSE (Lunch)

-FERRARO'S (Dinner)

-5 PALMS (Happy hour)

-DUO (breakfast)

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
51,102 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

I love Honu-and don't think you will miss a thing there.

I would also try Sugar Cane Maui, down on Front St., esp. for lunch. Personally, I'd skip Pineapple Grill for dinner-and Kimo's both. Bleh food at both as far as I'm concerned.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 21:11
Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

First I have to say an itinerary built around meals is pretty impressive!!!! and I agree with swmarket on skipping Pineapple Grill AND Kimo's.

Edited: 10 June 2014, 22:07
San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

Ha! Yep, I've said it before and I'll say it again....we live by our guts...though looking at both of us, you wouldn't think it ;-) As for Pineapple Grill, we have that listed because we have a Cohn gift card...figured we'd use it in Maui to save a little on our meal outings ;-). And yeah, Kimo's might not be the best but for some reason we just love it. The deck with the sunset just is so pretty and I must say I'm a fan of their pulled pork sandwich. Normally hate pork but that (and crispy bacon) are the exception ;-). Doubt we'll end up doing dinner upstairs though....last time we came for late lunch and stayed for happy hour. Worked out great and then we shopped in the evening after it cooled down! Glad to know Honu seems like a winner. Based on the pictures, I'm surprised it doesn't get referred more on the forum!

Edit - Thanks also for the rec on Sugar Cane, SW. That looks yummy too! Gosh, finding time to eat everywhere is gunna be the biggest challenge! Darn, guess we'll just have to keep coming back!

Edited: 10 June 2014, 22:26
Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,102 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

Can you use the gift card for breakfast at Pineapple Grill?

If you think Kimo's pork is good---oh, I am gonna ruin it for you:

Sugar Cane's House Smoked Kalua Pig Sandwich.

Done.

Honu gets plenty of traffic, though not so much here. It's not cheap, but I think it's well worth it.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

Oh SW, why didn't I think of that before...duh!? You are brilliant! Pineapple Grill for breakfast it is! We love our Sea House aloha hour pupus and I was already trying to find an extra day to squeeze that in! So now Sea House will replace Pineapple Grill dinner and then we'll just go to PG for breakfast on one of the days we planned to eat in the condo! This is exactly why I love this forum! You definitely have me intrigued on Sugar Cane! Its gunna be hard not to go to Kimo's but maybe we'll do Sugar Cane for dinner and meander down Front Street for a drink (and Hula Pie from our Leilani's receipt) at Kimo's during sunset!

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
51,102 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

Giggle, glad to help!

The pork sandwich is normally only served for lunch though. Oh, the Ahi Nachos are great and so is the salt & pepper calamari salad.

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,568 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

Lauren, also, The Plantation House has joined the Cohn group so I'm sure you could use your card there as well. :)

We have a discount card from here in San Diego that includes the Cohn restaurants and plan on hitting both.

(We always go to the Plantation House anyway)

Dave

San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

Whoops....I meant lunch SW :-). Can't say I'm a huge fan of ahi but the future hubbie could inhale that stuff like its going out of style!

Dave, thanks so much for letting me know! We'll definitely be going there for breakfast instead! Yum! How did you manage to get your hands on a discount card?

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
4,667 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

We're also big fans of Honu. It's one of the restaurants we like enough to visit more than once per trip. Definitely wait for a table on the "deck" (open air space near the water). Sunsets silhouetting the bobbing sailboats, between Lanai and Molokai...beautiful!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
816 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honu Seafood and Pasta

Awesome grandeau...love your description. I can imagine myself there right now. Definitely will wait for outside seating. Almost a requirement for when we eat on Maui....has to have a view. Man, I've been asking a lot of food questions on the forum lately. What an oink!