We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 8

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 8

My body clock is finally starting to adjust. I didn’t wake until 6 this morning.

Made lilikoi danishes for breakfast with the help of Pillsbury crescent rolls. These were very yummy and a hit with the crowd, who tends to be picky about trying new things.

Today we are going to snorkel Kapalua. Got over to the lot by 8:30 and it was full. We did find a shady spot on the side of the road. I’m in search of an octopus along with turtles today. Hoping I have some of Rena’s luck with the fishes. The water had really good visibility once you got out a little ways. While we did see a large number of fish, we didn’t find what we were searching for today. Busted again.

After leftovers at the condo, we went down the lobby for the craft fair that was going on. Saw Binky’s had a table and said hello. We then found a photographer, John, who’s been on the island for 3 years after buying a one-way ticket. Talked to him for a long time and bought a few pictures. Very nice guy. My niece definitely got a bug put in her ear about coming to Maui and being a photographer. (Her goal is to have her own studio.)

Freshened up a bit then headed out to Kaanapali to catch our sunset sail with Trilogy. What a fun activity! We sat up front and got a little wet at times, but that was half the fun. It was very windy and a little choppy. We were treated to rainbows that seemed to end at KShores. Magical.

Pupus were served along with drinks. We tried taro rolls for the first time. Really good. The comment was “they don’t taste purple”. Gee, how should purple taste? Anyway, the picky eater gave it a thumbs up.

Also, the captain said a baby humpback whale was spotted close to us. While some of the crew saw it surface, we did not. I was kind of worried about the “little” guy thinking it lost its mother. Then I read once we got home that a momma and her calf were spotted the next week. I’m hoping it’s the same whale.

After that, we came back and took a dip in the hot tub then watched a movie. The end of another lovely day on Maui.

Aloha!

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 8

Sounds like fun

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,931 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 8

Thanks again for the report. Try looking under lava outcroppings at Kapalua Bay. That is where the turtles hang out. We saw a couple of them there in April!!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 8

Wish I was brave enough to try the one way ticket trip, but I think so would miss home too soon! Another enjoyable day on Maui even without finding your octopus. Sshhh......the octopus whisperer found moose today! I am not sure how many more days you have but I will make to check in to share the fun! Thanks so much for reporting Laura! Deb

4. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 8

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:15