We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question...two...??

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
103 reviews
Save Topic
Question...two...??

We had some fantastic snorkeling this morning at Honolua Bay, almost had the whole place to ourselves for awhile....is this beach also called Slaughterhouse?....we have heard of Slaughterhouse but not sure where it is.

Also when I was snorkeling over by the rocks , I turned and a most magnificent turtle was staring at me...looked much different from the one I saw earlier.....could this have been Hawksbill...the patterning on his head etc was different from the green turtle....My daughters are now calling Honu instead of mom....since I always say well that made my day...😊

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question...two...??

Mokuleia Beach (aka Slaughterhouse Beach) is just south of Honolua Bay. They are both part of the same conservation district. At Mokuleia Beach you have to walk down some stairs to get to it.

The biggest difference you will see between a hawksbill and green sea turtle is by their beak. The hawksbill is just that, looks like a hawk, very pointed.

Sounds like you are having a great time, carry on!!

Philadelphia, PA
Level Contributor
4,103 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Question...two...??

Here's a good page that shows the difference. The hawsbill's name is 'ea.

http://wildhawaii.org/documents/turtle_id.pdf

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,896 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question...two...??

Nothing like snorkeling with turtles to brighten your day - magical! :)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,434 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question...two...??

You need a new license plate..."HONUMOM" !

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question...two...??

How lucky to have Honolua Bay uncrowded!

We were fortunate enough last September to be in the same boat, only us and the fishies....oh, and a honu or two....

Babs

Edited: 12 June 2014, 00:40
Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question...two...??

Mama I like your idea for a license plate!😊

Almost grownup thanks for the info

Mississauga, Canada
Level Contributor
2,213 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question...two...??

Fishdiva, thank you for explaining the difference for me

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Question...two...??

I think you were fortunate to see one. I read awhile ago that there are less than 100 nesting females in the state

I have only seen one in 25 years of diving

They are more critically endangered than the green sea turtle. They nest from May to Nov, maybe a pregnant female hoping to add to the cause!. Great to see they are still out there

Edited: 12 June 2014, 02:38
Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question...two...??

Cool you saw this turtle

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,943 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question...two...??

The hawksbill turtle is a critically endangered species. I've only seen one on Maui in the 10 years that I have been snorkeling. If you do think you see one, take a picture. Then, contact Cheryl King who is responsible for the Hawksbill recovery program on Maui. You probably can find a contact number on the web-site that almostgrownup referenced.

There is an extensive program on Maui to save these turtles. First by patrolling the beaches at dawn looking for flipper marks which means they are coming up on to the beach to nest. After nesting there is another group of volunteers that actually guard the nests until they hatch.