We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kihei, Kaanapali, ... where to stay on smaller budget

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
229 posts
Save Topic
Kihei, Kaanapali, ... where to stay on smaller budget

Hi,

we're currently planning our Trip to Hawaii in the early December and when checking on accomodations, I already noticed we have to hurry. We plan on spending one week on Maui (and another on one of the other islands, probably Oahu). We don't need a lot of luxury, but it is a holiday and a long way for us, so we don't want to spend it in a cheap small B&B either. A Pool would be nice, proximity to the/a beach, too. I already noticed that practically no hotel/resort offers free breakfast, i.e. a small kitchen or at least cheap restaurants in the area are necessary. We've been thinking about renting a condo, too. We prefer small, quiet places over busy, huge hotels or snobbish resorts.

Oh, and we don't want to spend a fortune on just a bed and prefer spending the bugs on activities. We mainly want to go hiking, see nature, do some Whale watching, snorkeling, some beach time. We couldn't care less about fancy night life.

At the moment the best options I could find are the Aston Maui Hill in Kihei and the Maui Kaanapali Villas. The latter is supposed to have a nice cafe. I also found a privately rent condo in the same place, I guess (I'm a little overwhelmed with all the options, places, names...). However, I read that Kihei is the nicer, more beautiful place to stay?

We are three adults, so if we take a condo, it should have two separate bedrooms.

Any advice is really appreciated!

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,382 posts
Save Reply
31. Re: Kihei, Kaanapali, ... where to stay on smaller budget

I like South Maui for first-time visitors who want to make trips across the island to Road to Hana, Haleakala and Iao Valley. It's 20 minutes on four-lane roads back to Kahului to start your roads to these places (and to the airport). You can also spend a day going up into West Maui to the 'top' of the island at Kapalua, stopping at Lahaina Town.

Take a look at condos in South Maui on www.vrbo.com Look at Kihei, and look under the Kamaole Beaches section. You can walk to good beaches from most of these.

You can see aerials and read reviews here: www.hawaiirevealed.com On that site, start at Maui Vista and work your way south towards Wailea. There are several places across from the three Kamaole Beach Parks. These are all OK. Maui Hill is the last in the row that is easy walking distance to the Kamaole parks, but as was said, it is built up the side of a small hill. (Nice for views and peace and quiet, but you'll stretch your legs walking back up from the beach -- same at our condo complex, Maui Kamaole.) There is also free parking at most of the beaches on Maui -- lots of it at Kamaole III beach park.

In early December you should find plenty of 2BR condos in this area that are under your $1800/week budget.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,925 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
32. Re: Kihei, Kaanapali, ... where to stay on smaller budget

Shark's don't stay in the same areas. They are on the move. I was in south Maui this past spring and didn't have any problems getting into the water. The poor woman who was the victim of the shark attack was just one out of thousands of people that get into the water daily in south Maui.

It's nice to be able to stay in Hana if possible but the vast majority of people who go do it in one day.

33. Re: Kihei, Kaanapali, ... where to stay on smaller budget

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 June 2015, 05:16