We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Topic
Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Our last morning here. We have one last chance at finding a turtle so we head down to the beach in front of the Honua Kai again. By 8AM we have our place staked out on the beach and are in the water. It’s a red flag day again as the wind is really whipping up.

Visibility was really good this morning, but didn’t see a great number of fish. We kept swimming towards Black Rock in hopes of finding a turtle. Then….boom! I see this black spot moving in the water below me. It’s a juvenile turtle, not huge. But, wow there’s a turtle below. He’s swimming up to the surface for a breath. We watch him for a long time. He swam a little then just settled on the bottom posing for pictures! My little disposable underwater camera was already full of pictures, but my niece managed to get several shots of him. This was an amazing way to cap off our trip!

We were back to the condo by 9:30 to clean up and finish the last bits of packing. The cleaning lady showed up at 10, when check out is 11. Scrounged up leftovers we could find for lunch while cleaning out the kitchen, which was really comical. All three of us squeezed into the kitchen grabbing what we can for a fast meal. We were out the door right at 11 expecting the cleaning lady to be waiting, but she wasn’t.

Off to Lahaina for another look at the banyan tree. Its Saturday so there’s a craft fair going on under the tree. We checked out several booths. I was very glad I bought my pictures on metal at the swap meet as those prices were the best I found. Went into Maui Hands and those pictures were 3-4 times more than at the swap meet.

Gassed up and headed over to Hookipa to see the surfers. Traffic in Paia was actually light when we went through there. Very little slow down, which was nice. Time to turn in the car and check in for our 5PM flight. The security line was the longest we have ever encountered. It did move fast and we were through in about 20 minutes. Soon we were on AA flight #6 headed home to DFW. The wide-body plane is the way to travel. We used miles to upgrade to first class and really enjoyed the room to stretch out and catch a nap on the way home. A hui hou Maui! We love you!!

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
Lahaina
Lahaina
Maui, HI
Paia
Paia
Maui, HI
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,875 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Thanks so much for your lovely reports....glad you finally found that Honu!

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

I read and looked forward to every day of your trip. Thanks for sharing it! November can't get here fast enough!

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Sounds great..

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Thanks for your daily trip reports. I really enjoyed reading them. It is magical when you finally see that elusive Honu...not matter how big or small it is.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
174 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Seeing a turtle is the best. I think that's what really hooked us on snorkeling!

Thanks for sharing your reports! I enjoyed reading all of them!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,750 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

I was getting worried about you finding your honu after reading day 9 so glad it happened. It's hard to leave but with your special sighting the last morning you could now leave happier. Thank you for taking time to share your adventures with us.

Have you started planning the return?

Fort Worth, Texas
Level Contributor
473 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Barefoot, yes I'll be going back in March. I've already started the count down.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,005 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Score!! So glad you finally saw your turtle. Thanks again for letting us share your journey with you. Until next time………………ALOHA!!

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,216 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

Look forward to your return next year, and more of your excellent reports.

Did you let the rental agency know that the cleaning lady was an hour early? I would be a bit annoyed..

10. Re: Finally, My Maui TR May 22-31,14: Day 10

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 14 June 2015, 06:17