We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Questions from a First-Time Visitor

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
104 posts
45 reviews
Save Topic
Questions from a First-Time Visitor

My husband and I are traveling to Maui for the first time June 19th for seven days, celebrating our 10th. We are staying at Wailea Marriott and have rented a jeep. I have some questions that I would love some help with, if anyone is willing!

1. Where would you recommend resting beach chairs and umbrella? Since the hotel doesn't offer this (weird), I am thinking we should rent our own to have for the week for whatever beach we decide to visit. I have found a few companies, one which delivers, but haven't seen any reviews. Any recommendations?

2. How early do we really need to leave to do Halekala sunrise? 2:30 or 3? Any must-stop breakfast ideas for the ride back?

3. Any must-do restaurants? We have reservations at Mama's, Migrant, Ko, Sorrento's, Morimoto. I don't want to eat inside. Is it worth the drive to Merriman's or should we just stay around Wailea/Kihei?

4. Is it worth it to go to Lahaina? I want to see parts of the island, but definitely want to relax and soak up the sun and views the majority of the time. That said, I doubt I will journey back to Hawaii any time soon, and want to experience all the must-dos while I am there.

Thanks for any help!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

The Marriott is a nice place and we stay there. But it is not directly on the beach. It is ocean front but on a rocky point between 2 beaches. Both beaches are short walks and I though that you could reserve beach chairs at the pool hut

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,544 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

You will save LOTS of money renting chairs for the week, away from the resort. Umbrellas can be a problem with our winds.

Check Maui Dive Shop and Snorkel Bob's both rent chairs etc.

You should leave for sunrise by 2:30 AM. Many of the most dramatic, fiery colors are actually before sunrise, especially if you are up at the summit and looking over to the Big Island ( NO, it isn't lava you are seeing, sorry!).

I would allow at least a day to wander up to the West and Northwest side. The ocean may well be calmer and swimming better up there, depending on the swells. Maui should def be explored and enjoyed!

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
733 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

I don't know if it is less expensive, but we purchase beach chairs at the ACE Hardware store in Lahania and then give them away to someone on the beach without chairs on our last day. Sort of like, " paying it forward." We have never tried using an umbrella.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
21,207 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

I'd take a day to drive up to Kapalua, stopping in Lahaina for a while.

There are two outdoor dining option places with nice views with good food -- not wow!, but good. Five Palms in the Mana Kai condo-tel is just across the border in South Kihei, right on Keawakapu Beach. Gannon's is in a golf clubhouse above Wailea with panoramic view. Both serve B.,L,D. Capische? in the Hotel Wailea is good.

Shops At Wailea is steps from your hotel -- Starbucks, a general store with deli items, a couple of restaurant choices.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,599 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

Have dinner in Lahaina one night - and wander around and do your looking/shopping in the evening - much cooler, more relaxing to me - I don't feel like I wasted any daylight hours in stores. :)

California
Level Contributor
6,465 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

I agree, just buy a couple of inexpensive chairs from Costco or Walmart and just give them away after your done with them. Umbrellas are almost unusable unless properly tied down. We just got back the other day and enjoyed eating at the new Monkey Pod restaurant and twice made the 30 minute drive over to Paia to eat at Milagros for the best Blackened fish taco's around.

A trip over to Lahaina is certainly worth the 45 minute drive plus they have a better selections of restaurants on that side of the island. Hula Grill is a yearly stop for us.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,028 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

There is a Snorkel Bob's across the street from the Shops at Wailea, I would rent chairs there. Do travel up to west Maui. Stop in Lahaina it's an old whaling town and fun to visit. Then head further north to see this side of the island. Visit Kapalua Bay (one of my favorites), you might even want to go as far as the blow hole past Honolua Bay before turning around and going back. I would make a day of it.

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

Yes, so easy to rent the chairs and snorkel equipment at the same time.

I loved Migrant so much that we went twice when we were there. The Ahi Avo is to die for!!!

I agree with eating outside, nothing like it! Ask for a table on the terrace at Migrant.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

Oooh, please come back and write a trip report! I'm interested in hearing about your hotel and restaurant experiences for our trip in November. I ruled out the Marriott due to the no direct beach access but would be interested in hearing about your stay.

I ruled out Merriman's for dinner if we stay in Wailea but plan to try to make it for Happy Hour on the day we visit Kapalua.

Level Contributor
934 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Questions from a First-Time Visitor

Kula Lodge for breakfast on the way down from the volcano. Gannon's for a nice dinner, and yes you can be outside. Four Seasons for cocktails in the lower bar is also nice. We also like the HulaGrill at Whalers Village -- it's a haul from Wailea but always a good time. Especially at Aloha Hour when Dave the Bartender is behind the bar. Have a blast!