We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

We're in Kauai now, and I'll share trip report next on the Kauai forum. Our 5 days in Maui were PERFECTION, and I am extremely grateful for all of the information I found in this board. I'm hoping to repay the favor with my report.

Resort: With hesitation after reading the reviews, I booked at the Westin Resort (not Villas) on Ka'anapali Beach. I can say we enjoyed a wonderful stay. Our sons (9 & 6 yrs old) loved the pools, and I loved the view & beach. Zero signs of construction. We were assigned a renovated room which was small, but nicely outfitted. Lots of plugs for all the cameras/phone chargers, and I liked that the bathroom mirror was 2-sided allowing me to get ready while not tying up the bathroom for the rest of the family. The beds are doubles not queens, and that would be my only complaint. They are quite comfy as a positive. I loved our panoramic view of the resort & ocean beyond!

I also saw the unrenovated rooms in the other tower. They are a lot larger, and honestly, the one our friends were in was nice. The hallway leading to the room showed more signs of wear than the room itself. Plus, they had an incredible ocean view.

The staff at the resort was very polite & helpful. The dining is sad. High prices with extremely small portions. The wait staff seemed annoyed when we each wanted to charge separately to our rooms. I'm sorry, but we can't be the first people traveling together. I would say order drinks, but dine elsewhere. The parking situation is definitely tight as well! but we didn't have any issues. You just have to be careful.

In summary, we enjoyed our stay & would definitely go back.

Activities:

Black Rock: Snorkeling was awesome! We saw. a HUGE sea turtle! We didn't jump from the cliff, but enjoyed watching others.

Trilogy Sails Molokini Snorkel Trip: LOVED it! The crew was fantastic. Lunch was great. I have a water phobia, but put my fears aside & enjoyed myself more than I could have ever imagined. Our second stop was off Wailea, and the water was murkier & a bit too rough for my comfort. I didn't stay in long, but we did see a number of sea turtles. Just a great day! I highly recommend Trilogy.

Northshore Zipline: It rained lightly off & on during our zip line tour. We debated whether to go as planned because it is expensive, and we weren't sure it would be fun in the rain. I'm so glad we went ahead with it. They have rain jackets to loan to guests, and it was such a fun adventure. Our kids loved it & we did too!

Road to Hana: Loved it! Our favorite stop was definitely Waianapanap Beach. We took a poster's advice and drove there first. We explored the park and ate a picnic lunch that we picked up at Whole Foods that morning before starting the drive. We made our stops on the way back. We listened to Gypsy Guide and thought it was super entertaining & helpful. I highly recommend the full tour of Maui version.

Old Lahaina Luau: What else can I say that hasn't already been said a million times? Nothing. It's great. They've got it down to an art. The food is good. The service is great, and the show is beautiful. It's worth the expense.

Other Dining:

We dined at Hula Grill, Leilani's, Duke's, & Ono Tacos. All were fabulous! Picked up premade picnic foods at Whole Foods. Our only negative dining experiences were at the Westin Resort. Save your $$$!

I know most everything I reviewed is just an echo of others, but I really wanted to sharetoshow my appreciation for everyone's help during our planning. We have fallen in love with the aloha spirit of Hawaii and can't wait to return! If you're counting down the days, I'm envious! We leave for home tomorrow & I can't bare the thought! LOL

St. Augustine...
Level Contributor
153 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Sorry about the typos! I guess I was overly anxious to post a report & didn't proofread. I wanted to add that the rooms at the Westin Resort also have a small fridge. Definitely stop for drinks & snacks/breakfast foods to save a bit. Also, I was uncertain about the weather. I brought a pair of jeans & several light sweaters in addition to a sweatshirt & rain jacket. Never was it cool enough for the jeans or sweaters/sweatshirt. I'm warm-natured though.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,341 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

kskutie76, didn't even notice any typos, loved your report! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourselves and this will be very helpful to others looking to have a great time with kids! I was excited you made it over to Ono Tacos, we loved it too!

We also really love Trilogy, you choose a great company to go out with!

Thanks for sharing!

~ littlered

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Thanks for the trip report. So glad you enjoyed the Westin. My wife and I stayed there and loved it. It gets a lot of knocks here, but I love the location right next to Whaler's Village. Sounds like you had a wonderful time and got to see and do a lot!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,473 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Sounds like a wonderful visit, you certainly hit some of the highlights. And, yes, dining at the Villas, as with most resorts, is overpriced and less than stellar.

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Thanks for the tips..We leave Friday

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,483 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Thanks you for the report! Glad you had such a great time.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,559 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Always great to get a TR. Your report on the Westin Resort will be very helpful as others consider if it will work with their family.

Waianapanapa is one of our favorites places too.

Enjoy Kauai.

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,623 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Oh, great trip! Thanks for reporting.....loved reading it!

Kentucky
Level Contributor
529 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Loved reading your trip report, thanks for sharing! We are 100 days out today!

Minnesota
Level Contributor
177 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report: 6/6/14 - 6/11/14

Thanks for your report, sounds like a great experience. Will use some of your tips in planning my trip yo Maui!