We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

Hi all,

My friend and I are headed to Maui for the first time this August for six nights. We're hoping to rent a condo for less than $110/night and have found some great potentials in the Napili region. However, the more I look into activities we'd like to do: sunrise on the crater, road to Hana, great beaches, etc. it seems like being more central in Kihei might be better. Ideally what we're looking for in a condo is easy access to the great beaches (within walking distance) and close to town/restaurants. We'll also be renting a car to get around. Based on this, any recommendations/advice on location and/or great condo rentals that fit the criteria?

Thank you in advance!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

For August I'd add air condition to the requirements.

In Kihei from Maui Vista to Hale Hui Kai you will across or on very nice beaches for swimming and snorkeling.

This map will help will location of the resorts. Are you looking on VRBO? If the $110 includes cleaning and the state taxes will you really be limiting your choices. But they can be had.

hawaiirevealed.com/free-travel-info/maui/mau…

Here's a place in Kapalua http://www.vrbo.com/83010 for $99 during August but there are taxes and cleaning. You would have an extra 20-25 minutes each way on trips to Hana or Haleakala.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
1,769 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

Barefoot, the link you sent them (http://www.vrbo.com/83010) for the $99 condo says, $99 for extended stays of 14 days and $125 for six nights, they do not say anything about cleaning fee or taxes? Staying on the West side will only add about 30 minutes each way to your drive and in August it will be cooler on the West side. If you can find something now for around $100 on the West side for August I'd book it soon.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

Thanks for both your responses. Yes, I've been searching VRBO and have found good options in Napili and Kihei but just wanted to double check which location would be better for what we're interested in doing and seeing.

Golden, Canada
Destination Expert
for Regina
Level Contributor
4,790 posts
94 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

The difference in travel is not large enough to dictate where you choose to stay. The weather difference that time of year will also be negligible. You won't find many units with a/c at that price point... you won't find much a/c at all in Napili or Honokowai.

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
20 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

In Napili or Honokowai - would ceiling fans suffice?

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,645 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

For some it would but not for me.We have stayed in Napili several times in a unit without a/c but only for 2 or 3 night. and it was ocean front. Our unit was on the second floor of a two story building. The bed room was over 95 degrees at night when we were trying to sleep. We were ocean front but the trades weren't blowing. another time the a/c was on a one hour timer, trades stopped blowing and we resorted to a/c, bedroom would only cool to 87 degrees. Many folks don't care for a/c. It's a personal choice.

When the trades die and they do form time to time it can be real muggy. If you go with a unit without a/c, things to check, Which rooms face west and receive hot afternoon sun. Is the bedroom near a road, with the windows open you will hear noise.

Edited: 16 June 2014, 22:54
Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,723 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

Aloha Ilajna12,

Barefoot brings up some VERY important points about a/c, what direction the unit you might be renting is facing, where the bedroom(s) are located, etc. We stayed in Kahana in mid-May, which is not as hot as August, and that gorgeous west facing villa got quite hot as the sun dropped in the afternoons. The heat doesn't seem to bother some folks as much, but the real question is, can you sleep hot? If you do go with a unit with no a/c, make sure they have fans in the bedrooms at minimum.

Milwaukie, Oregon
Level Contributor
4,149 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

I've had better luck finding units with A/C in North Kihei and Maalaea. It came as a surprise at first because these areas are very budget-friendly and have stronger breezes than other areas where A/C is rarer. All of the complexes where I have stayed have been direct ocean or beachfront also. The downside is that beaches are not as scenic as those in So. Kihei or Napili. I find the A/C, ocean views, and convenient location are worth a short drive to a better beach. Take a look:

www.koalagoon.com

www.nanikaihale.com (on Sugar Beach)

www.maalaeabay.com

Edited: 16 June 2014, 23:39
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

His special shows $145 per night and then your taxes total 13.42% on top of that. Plus you are at the last resort North. Just for reference it is over 20 minutes from downtown Lahaina to Kapalua area.

Danville, California
Level Contributor
1,848 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Question regarding location - Napili / Kihei /Elsewhere

I would never stay anywhere in Maui without A/C. Been there done that. Even in Napili it will be hot in august. If it were me Napili beats kihei every time, it's one of the most beautiful little beaches in the world. But if you are looking for cheap and convenience then kihei is probably a better location. Either way you can't go wrong on Maui.