We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tell me about your Snuba experience

Innisfail, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Tell me about your Snuba experience

We will be in Maui Feb 13-25 & I'm going to try Snuba while we're here. I can't find any recent reviews regarding any tours that offer Snuba. I will book the Trilogy Lahaina Picnic & also the Molokini tour so should I try Snuba on one of these tours & if so which one & why or...do you have a better Snuba recommendation for me? Thanks in advance for your replys.

Sacramento...
7 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

HI Helen,

You are in for a treat, Maui in February is fantastic and as I am sure you know, you will be there during the height of whale season! Many of the operators that offer SNUBA on Maui have an array of recent reviews on their trip advisor pages, you just have to know the name of the operators to look for. Check out SNUBA's where to page to get a list of all the operators available on Maui:

http://www.snuba.com/where-to-snuba-new/#

Have fun planning your trip.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

when you get down a little deeper than snorkeling it is amazing how clearly you can hear the whales signing.

I have had them close by while diving and you can feel your chest actually vibrate from the sound

D P
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,308 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

I did SNUBA with Trilogy on the Discover Lanai trip. It was very cool, the staff was very attentive. I tried it as an alternative to snorkelling, but I felt too claustrophobic and could not relax enough to totally enjoy it. The guy who ran it was great though in trying to help me.

I recommend it highly

Innisfail, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

Thanks so much kmayday, that is the one place I didn't look for reviews

Innisfail, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

Thanks so much kmayday, that is the one place I didn't look for reviews

Innisfail, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

Molokini excursion with Trilogy it is. thanks again

Menlo Park...
Level Contributor
5,002 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

you are indeed in for a treat being there during whale season. The closer you are to the ocean floor, the louder the whale noise. Often you can hear multiple songs at the same time.

But promise me one thing...before you go do a little research on the danger of breathing compressed air. Snuba and scuba are not just deeper snorkeling where you take a breath on the surface and then descend. There is a risk of serious harm if you snuba and then hold your breath while ascending. If you are down 30 feet and then go to the surface while holding your breath, the air in your lungs will have to double in volume, with dangerous results. ANY short brief ascent while holding your breath is dangerous. So make sure you read up before you go, just in case the operator forgets the part about giving instructions. Have fun.

Innisfail, Canada
Level Contributor
82 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

Thanks for that advice dhauk. I was under the impression compressed air was only for scuba diving when you're going down to greater depths. I will definately be doing more reseach because the dangers of compressed air will not scare me away.

I have to share my snorkeling experience with you because it puts a huge smile on my face every time I think about it:

WR & I both tried snorkeling for the first time while in Mexico 4 years ago & haven't been since. Really no where to snorkel in cental Alberta LOL. I remember it like it was yesterday, I struggled in the water for the first time trying to get the flippers on, walked out till I was waist deep then dunked my head & told myself to breath. Well let me tell you that was not as easy as Snokeling for Dummies made it sound, the brain was telling me no way no how is this gonna work, don't do this, this is not a good idea... well I told my brain to relax & just breath normaly, do not hyperventilate, breath normally & then finially my brain & I figured things out & that was it, I was hooked (way more than WR). I went out to play with the fishies every day as often as I could for the rest of the week. I can't wait to experience that magical underwater world again but this time in Maui!!!

hudson valley
Level Contributor
2,410 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

Based on your enjoyment of snorkeling you might want to consider a "discover scuba" or "resort course" which is an introduction to scuba diving using standard scuba gear. Compared to snuba, you'll be given much more time for learning about the things you should know and practicing some basic skills, and then do a dive that lasts perhaps 30 minutes and goes to a maximum depth of 40'. Assuming you want to, you can do repeat dives during your vacation without repeating the class and practice stuff. Snuba would probably let you know if you'd like to become certified divers, but a resort course will absolutely let you know, since it's a real and complete scuba experience. That you would probably only dive when you get to go on vacation to places like Mexico or Maui would make you a fairly typical diver.

As far as compressed air, my perception is that the way snuba markets the experience can easily lead people to think that snuba and scuba are very different things, but they're not. Snuba uses scuba regulators to allow you to breath compressed air from a scuba tank. Having the tank on the surface means you aren't wearing it, but it's where *you* are, not where the tank is that matters. The instant you go below the surface the water pressure starts increasing, and the regulator will deliver the air you're breathing at that pressure. Snuba makes a big deal about breathing being easier than it is with snorkeling, but that's precisely because it's compressed air that you're breathing. Sucking air that's at surface pressure through the snorkel while you're chest has half a foot of water pressure pushing against it requires mure effort than inhaling air that's at the same pressure as your lungs, whether that's just normal air pressure at the surface, or 3 times as much pressure 66' below the surface.

As for the danger of breathing compressed air, it can potentially kill you, but so can driving. As with driving, if you know the rules and follow them the chances of being injured are very low. You should be aware (and thoroughly informed by the people selling the experience), but not scared.

I just got a link to a really nice diving video this morning. You wouldn't see all of this even on a dozen dives, but here's a taste of what's waiting down there:

https://www.youtube.com/embed/mcbHKAWIk3I

Edited: 23 June 2014, 04:53
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Tell me about your Snuba experience

Took my first discover scuba dive in front of the Hyatt at Kaanapali 25 years ago have never looked back now have 100s of dives many on Maui Great way to get a real taste of diving