We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
387 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;) And if yes- where is the best place to grab it? Local Food? Times Supermarket?

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

Um, no. Musubi can be pretty good but I'd go with the teri chicken or Portuguese sausage musubi if you feel like trying it. I think spam is disgusting.

Dallas, Texas
Level Contributor
387 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

Great tips Shea! Thank you. I hope everyone knows I am being silly when I say "have to" in my question. I love experiencing new cultures and would love to try the most popular "cultural food item" while in Hawaii.

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
25,812 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

There's lots of great local food to try, no need to suffer through the spam :-D

Island of Hawaii...
Destination Expert
for Hilo, Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
37,790 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

SPAM is gross, IMHO.

It's not "from" Hawaii. It was sent out during WWII when food was rationed. The fact that some people came to adopt it and become find of it does not mean it was ever a remotely good food that belongs in our bodies.

Denver, CO
Level Contributor
25 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

The best local meal in Hawaii will always be the "Catch of the Day"!

6. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 October 2015, 02:32
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,617 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

Well, you do not have to, but why not? It has become a bit of a cultural culinary item - still not my thing, but one dish will be all you need to either give it a big thumbs UP, or thumbs DOWN. That is for you to decide. We've had it several times, and now usually pass. But, at least we HAVE tried it several times.

Some years ago, we were invited to Chef Alan Wong's New Wave Lu`au. Lots of Island specialties, and we greatly enjoyed most. However, as hard as we tried, never did warm to the Laulau dishes. We did encounter some great Poi, though. It was the same with Poke - we'd had plenty that was just OK (could not decide what the big fuss was), and then had Chef Wong's version, and we saw the light.

Most of all, enjoy,

Hunt

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
990 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

I would think people would have a harder time with the seaweed than the Spam. Spam gets such a bad rap, but I suspect it's because of the gel in canned Spam is so gross. I always get the foil packets of Spam single serve. There's no gel, and they're the perfect size for a sandwich. If you want to try something in Maui you can't find on the mainland, try the Spamhead breakfast sandwich at the Kihei Cinnamon Roll Fair.

9. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 18 October 2015, 02:32
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,617 posts
1,078 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Do I absolutely *have* to try spam musubi while in Maui? ;)

<<It's not "from" Hawaii. It was sent out during WWII when food was rationed. >>

True. However, it HAS become somewhat a culinary icon in Hawai`i - though I just do not get it. Still, I can make that determination, having tried it several times. With all the great cuisine in Hawai`i, I do not get distracted any more... [Grin] Sort of like Plate Lunch - one loves it, and understands it, but I do not, so move on to something else.

Hunt