We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Prescription snorkeling masks?

Arlington...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Topic
Prescription snorkeling masks?

I am a very hesitant snorkeler partly because I'm not a strong swimmer but also because I wear glasses and can't see well enough without them to enjoy the experience. I don't want to spend the money on occasionally used prescription goggles. Any suggestions?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

Snorkel Bob's, Boss Frog's, and Maui dive shop will have prescription goggles for you to rent. No need to buy them at all.

Even some of the tour boats will have them on board. My husband and I went on a snorkel trip around Lanai, and my husband was only going for the ride, no interest in snorkeling at all, as he doesn't swim, period. But the staff convinced him to try it out, and they even had a mask for him on board. And he has a very strong astigmatism, really blind without his glasses. He enjoyed it so much, he bought his own mask in Lahaina before we headed back home.

South Coast NSW
Level Contributor
2,383 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

Well this is very much which comes first, the chicken or the egg.

Because would you snorkel more often if you had your own prescription mask you could use whenever and wherever?

Would you then become more confident in the water over all, leading to more snorkelling?

I bought the Seamo Better by Snorkel Bob in +1 each side which works perfectly for me. It cost me $146 which is the standard off the shelf price. I don't consider that especially expensive when I know I will be using this regularly. I rented it first and when I found out it was perfect I bought it.

Cupertino, CA
Level Contributor
319 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

I'm pretty blind without my glasses ... Or my optical mask. I bought one several years ago and snorkeling life is grand! Give it a go when you get on island. Don't forget the fins that will give you more confidence. Maui is full of wonderful places to see Hawaiian reef fish.

Before I go out in the water I look around for a couple of things (big bright) so I can find my way back to my towel. Sometimes I tuck my prescription sunglasses in my bathing suit top. Of course you can wear your mask out of the water too!

Northern California
Level Contributor
362 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

Before I started I bought my own because I didn't know you could just rent them. My husband rents, it's easy. For faster fitting, bring your RX numbers with you. We've always used Snorkle Bob. I'm also one who uses a noodle. I can swim, but it gives me support if I need to clear my mask.

I have a great sunguard jacket (Title Nine) with two pockets. I put my underwater camera in one so I don't have to hold it while getting fins and mask on. You could also

Northern California
Level Contributor
362 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

(Did I push enter?)

...Put a spare pair of RX glasses in for backup.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,839 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

Before DH was lasered, he would rent an Rx mask from Snorkel Bob's. Wonderful! For your overall snorkeling needs, Snorkel Bob's is great, too.

South Jersey
Level Contributor
2,967 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

I bought my prescription mask online from Snorkel City - they are $60 + shipping.

Arlington...
Level Contributor
26 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

Thank you everyone! I will definitely go to Snorkel Bob's. The enthusiasm for snorkelling on this forum has really made me want to give it another try.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,465 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

You can't go wrong with Snorkel Bob's. Glad to hear you are going to give it another try. The underwater world of Maui is magnificent!!

sandy, utah
Level Contributor
1,085 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Prescription snorkeling masks?

Be aware that if you're farsighted like me, places like Snorkel Bobs won't have RX snorkel masks for you to rent. They only have ones for nearsighted correction. I'm considering ordering these ones for $59.95 through the Get Wet Store via Amazon. amazon.com/gp/…