We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Hire Insurance options

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Car Hire Insurance options

Hi everyone

My fiance and I are travelling to 3 Islands of Hawaii for our honeymoon in 4 weeks time and on Maui and Kauai we would like to rent a car, however have NO idea which Insurance option to select. We are from Australia and the insurance options are so different over here. In Australia it's quite simple - third party (to cover for damage to someone else's vehicle) or Comprehensive which covers your own and others..I have had great difficulty and starting to get myself quite stressed about the insurance of vehicles in Hawaii and which option to select. We just want to ensure we are covered for any damage to our vehicle and others, in the unfortunate event something was to happen, as well as injuries to people involved etc.. and not out of pocket anything (or at worst, a less than $500 excess). Any tips on what insurance to select? I have seen options for Collision damage waiver, unisured motorist protection, supplemental liabity insurance... I am just at a loss as to which one we need that covers us! Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you. Also, is it necessary to get a GPS on Maui and Kauai?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,109 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29222-i37-k6045446…

Have a read through this post from last year and see if there is anything there to help you.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,487 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

You don't really need gps. It's easy...not too many roads!

We buy travel insurance that includes rental car coverage when traveling overseas. Much more reasonable than the car rental shops themselves.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,328 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

#1 - talk to your insurance carrier at home. Figure out what you have ... and if any of it is useful in the USA.

#2 - if the rental car company you are using has offices in Australia - talk with them as well. If you were reserving your car over the phone ... there would be a person to ask.

#3 - if you are taking out generalized travel insurance for your trip ... pull that coverage apart and see what pertains to car rentals.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

Thanks J0an123 , that post has given me a few options.

Unfortunately our travel insurance is quite limited (through travel insurance direct) and doesn't seem to cover much at all for car hire.

BLBL- good idea re talking to rental office in Aus. Hiring a removalist truck tomorrow to move house through Thrifty, so might ask them their take on the insurance.

Hobart, Australia
Level Contributor
10 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

Is Collission Damage waiver and loss damage waiver the same thing? And if so, does anyone know if that's the most important insurance to have and does it cover third party/other people and vehicles also?

Southern California
Level Contributor
12,209 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

Look into hiring from either discounthawaiicarrentals.com ( be sure and declare your nationality when booking so the insurance will be included) or traveljigsaw.com.au or their parent company, rentalcars.com.

Maui
Level Contributor
2,251 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

No they are two different things, but are usually grouped together as Collision Damage waiver. The damage part covers the damage of your vehicle. Loss means, loss time that the rental company can't rent the car out while it is being fixed. I would check your credit card benefits. Many cards offer this benefit.

All other damages or injuries to the other party will come under your car insurance from home that we call liability. As mentioned, check with your agent or insurance company.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

Hi, I'm in the same boat (also from Australia, bit confused on what to get). Looking at DHCR and EconomyCarRentals at the moment. Haven't tried Travel Jigsaw as yet but have seen it pop up a bit recently. Would love to book via Thrifty but don't understand why I cant buy all the insurance beforehand, as with most other vendors directly.

Adelaide
Level Contributor
221 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

Hello from Adelaide

We have rented cars a couple of times now and we are still unsure about the insurances. Two years ago we used Traveljigsaw.com.au which now is rentalscars.com. We prepaid everything and all the insurances were included in the cost. This time I have researched more and still don't know anything else than that we need to buy all the insurances, because our travel insurance, Aussi car insurance or Credit Card do not cover overseas (USA) rentals.

I also discovered that DHCR do not include insurances to their contract, but advised us to buy them at the counter on arrival. I found Budget, which included all the insurances to the price and we can pay for them at the same time as the car rental on arrival. I think that this is a better way to buy insurances rather than being in a mercy of the sales person at the counter.

We took Loss Damage Waiver, Personal Accident & Effects and Supplemental Liability protections. Perhaps its too much but we are rather safe than sorry.

San Diego
Destination Expert
for San Diego
Level Contributor
59,108 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Hire Insurance options

On the California forum we always tell foreign visitors to use one of the international rental companies like www.rentalcars.com or similar OR the large USA companies and make sure to declare your location that way all the insurance you need will be included in the price and you won't have to start figuring out which to buy.