We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Luaus on Maui

Wichita, Kansas
Level Contributor
46 posts
Save Topic
Luaus on Maui

There will be 9 of us (ages 71, 51, 46, 44, 43, 19, 19, 17, and 16) in Hawaii later in July and we are planning to attend a luau on July 28. We originally reserved the Sheraton luau because we waited a while to schedule and others were booked. The Old Lahaina Luau called back today and got us a spot off the waitlist, so we're now signed up for two. I would appreciate any suggestions you have as to which we should attend and which we should cancel. If you have any other Oahu/Maui tips, I'd appreciate those too!

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,438 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Luaus on Maui

Here's my follow up to your second question on your first thread:

OLL doesn't have fire dancing, and focuses more on history of the different Polynesian and Hawaiian islands than some teens like. Others do great and think it's perfect. It depends on the kids and their expectations, IMO. Some adults also find OLL too much history and not enough cheeze factor, LOL.

If you want to see what is widely considered the best commercial luau in Hawaii, do the OLL. Just know what it is and isn't! If the consensus of all your group is for a faster paced show with fire dancing, consider the Hyatt's Drums of the Pacific instead of the Sheraton.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,046 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Luaus on Maui

Again, I agree with swmarket. I honestly don't recall a single positive statement about the luau at the Sheraton Maui. The Resort itself is wonderful ... but their luau isn't. On the other hand, Hyatt's luau is very popular - and does get positive comments from some of our most trusted contributors.

Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Luaus on Maui

Do not do the Sheraton luau. It was the only disappointment of my honeymoon.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
54,336 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Luaus on Maui

Drop the Sheraton Luau.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Luaus on Maui

Your crew will be treated like family at the OLL -- always great to go with a larger group, as they really do an excellent job with service and ensuring your crew are smiling all evening. Should you elect to stick with the OLL, I believe all in your party are in for a real treat! :)

Alo)(a, NKO

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,063 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Luaus on Maui

The OLL and the Sheraton are the only two luaus I have done on Maui. If you can get the OLL, do it! You won't regret it. Sheraton is CHEESY, beyond words. I was trying to save money, with our three teens by attending the Sheraton. Never again!

I just realized I answered your same question on the Hawaii forum! Sorry!

Edited: 05 July 2014, 16:53
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,993 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Luaus on Maui

I too vote for the Old Lahaina Luau. We took two 14 year old boys, they had a great time!! The Drums of the Pacific at the Hyatt would be my second choice.

Level Contributor
934 posts
62 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Luaus on Maui

A great thin about OLL is that it really provides an entertaining history of the Islands. You really can't go wrong with this -- we've been when our girls were early teens and again when they were in mid-twenties. never gets old.

Level Contributor
36,165 posts
907 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Luaus on Maui

We loved our time at The Feast @ Lele. :).

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
459 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Luaus on Maui

No offense, but try to remember when you were a teenager: Would you have wanted to sit through two luaus(let alone one!) during a vacation? Maybe the least interested luau adult can keep an eye on them if that is an issue(In this situation, that would be me!). Might be a good opportunity for the adults to cut loose a little bit sans teens...