We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lotsa fish

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Topic
lotsa fish

I apologize for not labeling the photos. If any one has questions about fish names in this file, I know most. But there are plenty of avid snorkelers here that can help.

http://tinyurl.com/pes3sfy

Edited: 10 July 2014, 22:07
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,691 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lotsa fish

Very nice pictures sir. You are setting the bar very high. I may not have to take any pictures now. Thank you for sharing!!!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: lotsa fish

Nice job Patrick. Looks like you got all the usual subjects + a couple of squid. They are not that common

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lotsa fish

Nice! the face of hunger: ‘omilu (bluefin trevally) ! How big were they?

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lotsa fish

thanks 3chi. Those are two of a school of five and some of the larger ones I've seen. If you had one of these on the end of your line, you'd know it. Definitely not the 5 lb variety.

John, 639, c90 and c797 were 2nd timers for me. Help me out with 639..

Jenn, I look forward to your shots! Always.

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lotsa fish

Our timing was perfect last Aug-Sept on Kaua‘i. I caught the oama (for bait) and hubby caught the ‘omilu......even the 5 pounders bent the pole in half! I think the Hawai‘i record for ‘Omilu is 28 pounds.

https:/…

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: lotsa fish

I am guessing a porcupine fish and an undulated moray and I am so confident in my identification I'll bet a nickel on it. Maybe others might chime in as well

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,350 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: lotsa fish

Nice 3chi! Beautiful catch. I'd feel guilty eating one. For a minute :) What are they like?

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,980 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lotsa fish

Dude! You've been holding out on us! Those are some great shots you have there. And quite a few uncommon ones too. The squid, Scrawled Filefish, Pearl Wrasse, and Cigar wrasse are not seen too often. I've only seen a squid once and that was last year at Kapalua and maybe twice each on the others. And that eel (c90 & c797) I'm pretty darn sure that's a Magnificent snake eel. If I ran into one of those it would be a first. 639 is a Spotted Burrfish. I've seen those a few times. Usually could careless that I'm there and are alone in some kind of hole or depression. That Black and white fish threw me for a loop. I thought it looked a lot like a Blackspot Sergeant but the colors were too bright. Then I found out those are it's "Nuptial" colors. How rude, that poor little guy was looking for a girl friend and you were bugging him trying to get a pic. LOL

Thanks for posting these. I'm going to be enjoying them for a while.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lotsa fish

I concur, dreamin, the spotted snake eel is rather uncommon. We see pearl wrasse and cigar wrasse here on the north shore of Oahu almost every time we snorkel!!

La Mirada...
Destination Expert
for Kauai
Level Contributor
15,392 posts
136 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: lotsa fish

We usually release the fish because of the ciguatera toxin...however we have friends who live on-island who wanted the fish. She cut fillets into strips, coated with Panko crumbs and fried it. The fish is very white, flaky and delicate...tastes wonderful...right up there with Opakapaka or Ono.