We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Topic
new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

After all these years, at 63 I finally bought myself my own snorkel gear. I had wanted to try an Rx mask but none of the rental places carry + only - .

I found a nice set at snorkel Mart the Explorer combo

www.snorkel-mart.com/master.cfm?CategoryID=26

It comes with the nice black gear bag. If you look at the Buddy combo they show the gear all in blue which is what I chose :)

It just arrived today and wow, I can't wait. The mask is great, I can see really clear with it, dry snorkel, and those fins fit perfectly and really nice quality. It was $104 not bad.

Aug 31st I'll be snokeling Kapalua with this gear :) I will miss Snorkel Bobs - I'll probably still rent a chair for the wife :)

Dave

Edited: 11 July 2014, 04:33
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

Yeah! Congrats Dave! We do love having our own equipment. So Kapalua is the first place you will go? How about the second??

Don't forget to clean your mask with toothpaste!! You don't want it to fog!!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

I'll probably run up to Honolua Bay on Monday morning, maybe snorkel slaughterhouse too :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,875 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

You shall have to bring it to the TA get together too!

Have you ever used baby shampoo to defog the mask?

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

Joan...that is for the normal every day de-fogging. When you buy a new mask, they come from the factory with different chemicals on them. You have to wash them several times with the old-fashioned white toothpaste to get it off.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

That's great Dave. I think you will be very happy you did. Might just run into you on the 31st. We arrive the 30th and will be hitting the water the 31st and Kapalua is a favorite and very close to where we're staying.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,713 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

Congrats Dave! Considering your love of snorkeling, it seems the perfect treat for you and a very smart choice. I was surprised at the reasonable price. I am really looking forward to learning how to snorkel next spring with Mike. Your wife has a good guy since you are still springing for her chair. I love a good beach chair! Looking forward to meeting both of you at the get together.....Deb

Edmonds, Washington
Level Contributor
2,364 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

Your own snorkel gear is the Best thing ever! Very cool for you.

I'm guessing you'll still find all kinds of reasons to visit your favorite snorkel shop on island.

Fairfax Station...
Level Contributor
147 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

Nice set Dave! I think you'll be very happy with your own equipment. I bought my own set a few years ago after renting for years, and it's the best. Maybe we'll run into you snorkeling Kapalua, we arrive there on the 25th of August!

La Costa, California
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

Thanks everyone :) yes, life is sweet isn't it?

It's going to be a special time for us - lots to be thankful for. I just got the news that some treatment I had received this year has been a success and I'll have many more years to enjoy my snorkeling :)

Dave

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,469 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: new snorkel gear - can't wait to use it

That is VERY good news. Congratulations!!!!