We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

3 posts
Save Topic
Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

My boyfriend and I are planning on traveling to Maui around May-July of 2015 for five nights. We are debating whether to get married on the beach or just do a short ceremony before we head out. Not quite an elopement, considering it's all planned. But still secret!

We have looked into doing a "Tiny Bubbles" package with White Orchard Weddings, but we are not sure if it's worth the extra money. We would rather just have the nicest honeymoon possible. We are looking for our hotel and flight arrangements to be around $5,000-$6,000. We've seen packages that fit this, but that wouldn't include our ceremony. Is it worth it to pay for a beach wedding?

We have looked into the Four Seasons, mainly. It seems like the best on the island, but you pay for it. The Grand Wailea seems great as well. We are recent college grads, so we will be saving every penny and want to have the best time, yet not go completely broke.

Concerns for Four Seasons:

-Expensive!

-Not many restaurants and they seem very high-end (We may just want a sandwich for lunch and we don't want to pay $30 for it...)

Concerns for GW:

-Busier, with more children around. We want to have some privacy.

-We like that there are more food options, but we also want to stay somewhere and feel we are getting the most bang for our buck

-Doesn't seem quite as romantic

We mainly just want to lay on the beach, swim, eat, and enjoy being married!

We would love suggestions on where in Maui is great for two, young, honeymooners!

Edited: 15 July 2014, 10:17
Dallas
Level Contributor
2,692 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

We are staying at the Four Seasons in November and I had the same concerns about restaurants but there are some cheaper options if you're willing to drive into nearby Kihei and there are also options at the Shops at Wailea.

I would guess that the GW will be more likely to be more crowded and have more children at that time of year. The GW does not say "honeymoon" to me like the 4S does, however, both hotels will have lots of families as Maui is a family friendly destination.

You might want to also look at the Andaz in Wailea--to me, it seems more adult oriented. We spent our HM at the Ritz Carlton and loved it, however there is no beach service/chairs and the beach is a 5-minute walk, which is partly why we chose the 4S this time. It is a very beautiful quiet area however.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,803 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

The earlier in May you go ... the fewer the kids. Anywhere.

Take a look at the Sheraton Maui - West Maui, Ka'anapali Beach. Gorgeous ... not kid-oriented ... great location - and more "reasonably-priced." Being on Ka'anapali - you have an excellent assortment of restaurants within easy walking distance ... or you can take their shuttle or drive into Lahaina.

There are some long detailed threads from within the past couple weeks on the Maui Forum, so scroll down and start reading. http://www.sheraton-maui.com

No, I would not go to the GW for a honeymoon ...

Location, Location...
Level Contributor
409 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

We got married five years ago(celebrating in August) and got hitched through the Maui Marrying Man, just the two of us and three parents. A photographer is included in the price and she did a great job. Not sure if it's changed but we needed to go to Lahaina to get the marriage license, a minor inconvenience. He's flexible but generally performs the ceremony at Secret Beach, perfect for you because it is nearby. If you are not familiar with the location, it is incredible and the view will leave you speechless!

Edited: 15 July 2014, 17:26
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,449 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

Doing any type of destination wedding isn't easy but it doesn't have to be over the top expensive either. Take a look at the Top Questions on the right hand side of this page. One of them is "Getting Married on Maui?" They will give you some options.

There are a few different places in Maui to get a license. My son got his in Kihei.

I would personally stay away from Kaanapali, especially if coming after Memorial Day. May is a great time on Maui to get married.

Take a look at the Andaz, the Wailea Marriott or even the Kea Lani for something in south Maui that isn't as expensive as the Four Seasons, which happens to be the best hotel on Maui. If you can afford it and want to spend the money, go for it!!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

Welcome to Trip Advisor!

You have not listed where you are from, but... if you are American, do look into getting the Hyatt Credit Card. I am not sure if you will qualify, but they would be worth getting, as you only need to spend 3,000 in the first three months to earn two free nights at the Andaz, or the other Hyatt in West Maui. If you each get one, you can have four free nights.

Congratulations on the upcoming wedding and honeymoon too!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

"We mainly just want to lay on the beach, swim, eat, and enjoy being married!"

As I read your post, I thought about my recent experience spending the past year planning our dsughter's wedding, with the engaged couple's help, our son's recent college graduation and our own experience as broke kids getting married. This post will be a little different advise, although the above advise was great......just not how "I" would do things, if it were my wedding!

When I read that above sentence, it leads me to suggest you just get married at home. Whatever money you save, spend it to stay longer on Maui. I cannot tell you seriously how much better 7-10 days on Maui would be in comparison to only five days. Is that possible? I have no idea where you are from so that isn't very helpful in directing my advice, but I will assume the distance is not short and beaches make you happy.....like me! Every extra day you can get on Maui could increase your honeymoon happiness IMHO. We have stayed all lengths of time on Maui, over the past six and a half years, from five weeks oy eight nights. I prefer at least two weeks but will be happy with whatever I can get honestly. Go for the longest time possible.....you will not get bored. Promise.

(My next "sisters" trip is 8 nights, this fall, and our spring trip will be 33 nights!)

DIY backyard wedding, courthouse wedding, whatever but at home! That way you only bring what you need for the honeymoon, and the less you spend on the wedding, the more you have for the honeymoon! And college loans! Ouch.

Does your honeymoon have to be a splurge? If can you be happy in an oceanfront condo, that gives you lots of room, beach toys and chairs for free and the ability to use a full size kitchen to brew coffee, keep snacks and drinks cold, make yummy phoofey drinks and meanwhile you save big cause condos are a lot cheaper than hotels on Maui? Some people need the pampering on their honeymoon and others are cool to just be alone savoring in each other's company, with no need for anyone to wait on them.

Remember.....this advise comes from a woman that honeymooned in Fairbanks, AK over 32 years ago. The wedding dress coat $68 and the flowers were fake. I think the best luxuries on Maui are free. Time spent with my loved one, beaches, flowers, gorgeous weather and just doing what we want together when we want to do it! The luxury of time together is amazing.

You sounded to me like the type of person that did not need fancy digs to be happy, so if you went condo and simple ceremony at home.......you could get more of that time together in paradise eating, swimming and being together! In other words, do not feel like you need to head to the GW or 4S just cause you got married. Save some money for just in case you love Hawaii so much you want to come back ASAP!!! Deb

P.S. No judgement on those that love the GW or 4S. I just know that in order for "me" to spend four to six weeks a year on Maui, I have to go budget condo!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

"We would love suggestions on where in Maui is great for two, young, honeymooners!"

I was concerned with getting you to stay longer for cheaper. Honestly......everywhere on Maui is great for two honeymooners! It does not matter where you stay because you will be together. Deb

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
142 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

Getting married on a Maui beach is sooo romantic! My husband and I did it in September last year and I'm glad we did it. We did a sunset ceremony on Po'olenalena Beach which is close to many of the South Maui resorts, and is a small, perfect, virtually secluded beach. So much better than a registry ceremony at home. And it's not that expensive, their packages start at $395 which includes the celebrant, location and beach licence and leis. They also arrange the appointment for you for the licence. We got ours in Kihei also. That's only an extra $70 or so. We paid somewhere around $800 for our package, which included photography and a flower bouquet. The company is Hawaii Wedding http://hawaiiwedding.com and they are one if the oldest most experienced wedding companies on Maui. Our celebrant was Kevin.

I would highly recommend doing it this way if you want the 'secret' little wedding. You don't need a witness in a Hawaii either, as the celebrant can act as the witness. It won't cost you too much if you book your flights and accommodation then book a ceremony separately through a wedding company. I also looked at those all inclusive packages with the resorts and it is MUCH more expensive that way. I'm sure they offer exceptional weddings too, but many of them seem more aimed at having a number of guests there.

Also, we stayed at Makena Beach and Golf Resort but looks like that will be closed down by the time you travel. Any specific questions, please PM me!

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,471 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

Ok......or I would do exactly what angie_robyn did! That happens to be my very favorite beach. Ssshhhhh.......Deb

Shoalhaven...
Level Contributor
142 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Honeymoon and Possible Ceremony

Yes Deb, I do remember you mentioning that it's your fave beach! It's gorgeous. They can do up to 2 sunset weddings every day, on the 2 sections of beach. I was lucky and got the more secluded section to the right, but it was interesting trying to hike down the rocky path in a wedding gown! There was nobody there for most of it, but part way through a few young locals turned up with chairs and some drinks. They stayed out of the way at the other end though and when we walked back past them on the way back they congratulated us! It was lovely!