We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui September 16th-21st

Austin, Texas
9 posts
Save Topic
Maui September 16th-21st

Aloha everyone!

I will be visiting the lovely island of Maui this September - and I am flippin' out!

As I will be traveling solo (which is best, I think), I will also like to meet a few human beings while exploring the tropics.

I am interested in sight-seeing (just like every other tourist). I want to tour ONO Farms, I want to go zip-lining, hiking to the mountain, and get some beach time, of course. Ooh! And I want to see Secret Beach, minus the wedding receptions I hear happen all the time.

If anyone will be in the upcountry, Hana, Haiku areas, feel free to collide in my existence!

Mahalo friends,

Bobby

Yakima, Washington
Level Contributor
296 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

You will have an amazing time! We will be there Sept 20-28th in the Kaanapali area. This will be our return trip from earlier this year.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,195 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

Welcome to Trip Advisor too!

Have you got the rental car booked yet? You are going to miss the TA get together on September 6th, but keep checking the forum, as I believe there may be another get together for later in the month.

Austin, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

Hi Joan,

Excuse my humble unawareness, but what is a 'TA' get together? I searched for it online, under the Hawaii events page, but was unable to find any information. Ha! Is that something on TripAdvisor? :)

Oh - and thank you for the warm welcome!

Austin, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

Whoa! That's way east! I want to explore the entire island, but am afraid of running short on time, because of how slow the speed limit is, especially on Hana Hwy.

One thing I am a bit leery of are the centipedes and cane spiders. More of the centipedes. Yuck! I guess I can't walk around barefoot like I do here in Austin. LOL!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,195 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

Trip Advisor get together... just some Maui addicts that spend too much time on these forums, and we are going to meet up in person, on Maui!

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k7518837…

Babs, another Maui addict, is going to be on Maui later in September, and she was going to start a new thread closer to the date to see if anyone else wanted to get together on Maui.

Centipedes are seldom seen. That doesn't mean that they aren't out there. Slippahs, or flip flops are the usual foot wear on any Hawaiian Island.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,195 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

The Road to Hana, a long day, 12 hours for most of, especially if you hike the Pipiwai Trail! It's a gorgeous hike, through a beautiful bamboo forest. It's about two hours return. And you start the hike at Oheo Gulch, part of Haleakala National Park. To get to Oheo Gulch, you must drive a further half hour AFTER the small town of Hana. Not much in Hana itself, but it is more about the drive there. Just beautiful, with lots of opportunities for stops along the way. We have done the drive three times, and still have not seen it all.

Austin, Texas
9 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

No way! How festive. I'd love to be part of that gathering. Sad to know it'll be taking place before I arrive, but hopeful of a second round later in the month!

I'm getting a bit addicted with forums myself, I must say.

Thanks so much for the recommendations. My 2-month countdown began today. I 'reserved' a car with Discount Hawaii Car Rentals, but I read that they do not allow off-road or unpaved road driving. Is this common for all car rentals, unless I rent a Jeep? How am I supposed to explore and love Hana if they won't let me?! :)

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,195 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

You don't need a jeep on Maui. If you are off roading, you are most likely trespassing on private property. When you drive the Road to Hana, you can drive another half hour to Oheo Gulch, hike the Pipiwai trail. Visit the pools for a swim if they are open. The Rangers have to shut them occasionally, if it has rained too much, or there is a flash flood warning. Then drive another three or five minutes to visit Lindbergh's grave. A beautiful spot, on the church grounds. Beautiful views from there. Then turn around and go back the way you came. Make more stops on the way back. You will have most likely missed some, because there may not have been enough room to pull over on the side of the road at some of the stops.

If you want to drive the back side of Haleakala, driving in a loop, rent a jeep from Kihei Rent a car. http://www.kiheirentacar.com/ They allow their jeeps only on the back side of Haleakala. All the major rental agencies prohibit their cars and jeeps back there. Note that going that route does not save you any time at all. And you end up back at Kahului.

On our second trip to Hana, we actually drove all the way to Hana, no stops. Had a quick snack, and continued on to Oheo Gulch. We then hiked the Pipiwai Trail before the crowds showed up, and then made our back to Kahului, enjoying the stops on the way back, the way we came.

Right now you are on the Maui forum. There is actually one just for Hana. If you hop over to that forum, make sure you read through the links on the right side of the page. They are in blue letters. You may not see them if you are on a phone. But there is lots of information about the RTH on that page.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,195 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

I forgot.... make sure you get DHCR to check your rate every week or so. The rates often drop as you get closer to departure date.

If you are Costco member, check their website as well. If you are really set on seeing the backside of Haleakala, you can always just rent the jeep from Kihei Rent a car for that one day.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,195 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui September 16th-21st

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k6932061…

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k6939183…

This is from Deb's blog. It is long, but gorgeous photos. She did this trip last September, and rented a jeep from Kihei Rent a car for the day. I was supposed to be on this trip, but we had to cancel, for medical reasons.

There are LOTS of pictures for you.