We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

san diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

We're headed back to Maui in Sept and are planning on playing some golf while we're there. Last time we visited (2012) i remember seeing some kiosks around Kaanapali & whaler's village offering "free golf" at the 2 Kaanapali courses. I'm assuming that this was a draw to get you in to a sales conference or signing up for a timeshare, but does anyone have experience with this?

I'm planning on playing the Plantation course this year, I played the Bay last time, so saving money to fund that little adventure is a priority.

Thanks in advance for the info!

Dallas
Level Contributor
20,785 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

How much of your vacation time are you willing to give up? How much aggravation and irritation are you willing to put up with?

I wouldn't go to a timeshare or vacation club presentation for a free round of golf at Augusta National Golf Club, much less Kaanapali.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,677 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

<<I wouldn't go to a timeshare or vacation club presentation for a free round of golf at Augusta National Golf Club>> Now, and on this point we differ greatly, BUT I would not waste a couple of hours of my time in a high-pressure sales pitch for BOTH of the courses at Ka`anapali. While neither is a bad track, and I have enjoyed playing them, my time is worth more than any savings in $. Besides, there are likely to be ways to secure reduced greens-fees, without having to take anger management courses after the sales pitch.

Hunt

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,007 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

Perhaps if they offered inclusive air, an over-water bungalow with direct view of Mt. Otemanu and hydraulic-powered dive hatch (I ain't liftin' nuthin..) I'd again ponder putting myself through one of life's most agonistic experiences..

Other than that, I'd never again waste more of life's precious time pondering ways to facilitate the demise of the fine pitchmen that have chosen this parasitic profession.

Alo)(a, NKO

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,427 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

nothing could make me sit down for another one of those sales pitches- my skin crawls just thinking about doing that while on vacation....

NORTH CAROLINA
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
7,269 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

Run away as fast as you can no free activity is worth wasting my precious time on Maui sitting through a time share pitch!

san diego
Level Contributor
5 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

lol, what an outstanding range of responses!

well, thanks for the input.

other than mauigolf and golfnow, any suggestions for discounted rates?

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
1,059 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

We played the Royal Kaanapali for half price with golfnow

Plano, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

I checked with my hubby on this. He has played the majority of the courses and many times over. I thought he used the website teetimeshawaii but he said you can get specials if you just talk to each pro shop. Don't expect any deep discounts for Plantation....they don't usually come off that one.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,677 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

<<We played the Royal Kaanapali for half price with golfnow>>

There you go. I assumed that many such discounts exist.

Going way back, the first time that we went to Ka`anapali, we hoped to play golf. We were not looking for discounts, just tee-times. We were surprised to be told that ALL tee-times were booked for our entire stay, by Japanese golfers. We were told that both Ka`anapali courses had pre-booked tee-times two years in advance - all by Japanese golfers.

Next trip, about 5 years later, when we arrived, there was a "pillow-talker" telling us to call the concierge, as there were tons of tee-times available, and we could get a major discount. In those years, the Asian economy - especially that of Japan - had taken a major hit). We did not bring our clubs, so did not take them up on the offer.

Next trip, we did have clubs, as we were playing both courses at Kapalua, and again, the pillow-talkers. We called our concierge and sure enough, we played both courses at Ka`anapali for almost 70% off the published rates.

Last time we played Ka`anapali, we got a two-four-one, with both courses for the price of the published greens-fees for one. Considering the activity that we saw, we could probably have negotiated an even better deal (like the trip before), than 50% off.

Things can change, and change drastically.

Good luck to the OP,

Hunt

Edited: 18 July 2014, 01:18
Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
36,677 posts
934 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Timeshare pitch for free/discounted golf in Kaanapali?

<<Don't expect any deep discounts for Plantation....they don't usually come off that one.>>

I agree. Now, some years ago, we got an offer from the Ritz-Carlton. They were a major sponsor of a charity, in which my wife and I are very active. Included was a week in a condo on the property, and 50% off Plantation, with Bay thrown in for free. To us, that was a glorious deal, and though we had just been on Maui (usually cycle there about every 4 - 5 years), we headed back, and in a hurry. Unfortunately, their signature restaurant, The Banyan Tree, was closed for a major redo, but we managed to tough it out.

Otherwise, I do not ever recall having any discount offers at Plantation, though they might exist.

Hunt