We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

Plainfield, IL
Level Contributor
28 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

When I told my family we needed to get up early for the third day in a row, they were about to kill me! I wanted to get on the road at 6:30 and they weren't having it. We finally left around 7:30 and found ourselves driving toward gray skies and rain. We turned on our gypsy app and started exploring. It pointed out the grove of rainbow eucalyptus trees which were so pretty. Our first stop was the three bears falls. Beautiful. Was lightly raining at this point. After that we drove straight thru past Hana. Because we started so early many stands we're not open yet along the road. Stopped at Wailua Falls-again beautiful! Then drove to O'heo Gulch/Haleakala Natl Park. By this time it was raining. We waited it out a little while and then it stopped. We saw the pools, which were closed for swimming. Then we started the Pipiwai trail. The sun came out for our hike. I loved the hike. It was about 2 hours round trip and mildly strenuous. Lots of great views along the way. As we finished the trail it started raining. At this point we didn't care since we were hot and sweaty and muddy anyway.

I told my family seeing a black sand beach was on my bucket list and we stopped at Waianapanapa (sp) St Park. By this time it was pouring. I barely was able to take pics and we started the drive back. Unfortunately my family is not the "it's not the destination; it's the journey" type and they didn't enjoy it much. I definitely think this is a trip for adults. Although if the weather was better and we were able to swim, it may have worked out differently for us.

Returned to the Honua Kai about 4:30 and went to Dukes for dinner. The food wasn't the best on the island but you cannot beat Dukes for ambiance. We even got our free hula pie. I know it's only ice cream pie but it hit the spot! Yummy! We finished our long day by going into Lahaina to explore the shops and see the banyan tree. I promised my family they could sleep in tomorrow!

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,337 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

Thanks for taking us all along on your trip, I'm glad you enjoyed your day and you are probably right about the kids,if they'd gotten to swim they'd remember the fun stuff and not the long drive and the rain.

I've never been to Dukes, I guess I don't actually know where it's at even though I hear about it all the time. Maybe we'll go there in January but we are mostly planning to eat at the condo.

Just think, if you let the family sleep in you could enjoy a beautiful morning out on the beach walking or just sitting and soaking up some great Maui time! I love the morning there!

~ littlered

Australia
Level Contributor
1,368 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

Nice report. I am looking forward to our RTH trip in November.

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

I did not enjoy the road to hana but i was the driver. Glad you are enjoying your trip

Edited: 18 July 2014, 15:49
Level Contributor
34,739 posts
895 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

Nice report! Our friends are on Maui now having a great time! :).

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
51,885 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

Duke's is onsite at Honua Kai at the north end of Ka'anapali.

Thanks for the TR. I think most kids don't appreciate the road to Hana. I didn't as a kid and my kids didn't. My DW still gets grief for the boys 20 years later about making them do it :)

Minneapolis...
Level Contributor
483 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

We did the RTH on a rainy day and although we enjoyed it, agreed it would have been MUCH better with sun. We also did the Pipiwai trail and our 10 yr old son loved the trail, but by the time we were heading back he could not wait to get home. To him the trail was the destination - the rest was just kind of bleh...

I can't wait to go back and do it again but I would definitely go on a sunny day!

Thanks for sharing - am enjoying your reports!

Yreka, California
Level Contributor
96 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

I and my family did the trip in the rain and it was spectacular. It made the waterfalls so much more intense. On the next trip with friends, I prayed for rain for our "Hana" day and we were blessed again. Kids can get cranky on the long ride though. Glad you enjoyed your hike

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,688 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

So sorry to hear about your rainy day, but thank goodness the weather cooperated so that you could hike the trail without the downpour. It is a wonderful hike, but it can be dangerous with all the rain.

Hope you got to enjoy some quiet time on the lanai with some Maui coffee while the others slept in!

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
137 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

littlered,

The best way to visit Duke's is to walk down after a great snorkel at Old Airport Beach, just hit the pathway in from of the Westin Villas and it will direct you right to the bar, ha! Great place for an after snorkel/lunch Mai Tai and snack.

Babs

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,982 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - Day 4 Road to Hana

Thanks for the report!! I took two 14 year old boys on the road to Hana and hiking on the Pipiwai Trail. Both loved it. Kids are so different!!