We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

San Antonio
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Topic
Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

I have posted on here asking for feedback on doing a day trip to Pearl Harbor/Honolulu from Maui. I appreciated everyone's feedback, but unfortunately, the advice does not work for us. It was suggested that we fly to Maui via Honolulu or make the stop on the way back to the mainland. The problem is that we already have round trip tickets from Texas to Maui and can not change them. It was also suggested that we book our own flight, rent a car there and book our tickets for Pearl Harbor online. Only problem is that we planned this trip last minute and we are going next month and the online tickets are sold out. And we don't want to fly to Pearl Harbor to stand in line and get to the front and find out they are out of tickets.

So we decided to use a tour company. Does anyone have any suggestions on who to use for a tour from Maui to Pearl Harbor/Honolulu?

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

Don't use a tour company! You will be on their schedule, and they are just transportation anyway. We have booked our flights to Honolulu from Maui for early a.m. We have rented a car and have purchased tickets to 2 Pearl Harbor attractions. The tickets for USS Arizona say sold out online now, BUT they have added 2 more tours that you can reserve the day BEFORE you go! We plan to do this to get in rather than stand in a long line.

Here is the link

www.recreation.gov/tourDetails.do…

Winston Salem...
Level Contributor
3 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

Here is the link with the new ticket info.

www.recreation.gov/tourList.do…

San Antonio
Level Contributor
33 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

Thanks for the information. Do you know anyone who has done this before? You say that you are going to do it. When are you going? What time the day before does it go on sale? I'm a little wary about waiting for the last minute. It's kind of risky. What happens if we book our flight to Honolulu and we do not get tickets?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,324 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

Are you talking about Pearl Harbor or the Arizona Memorial? Two different things! The Arizona Memorial is in Pearl Harbor (literally the water) and is part of the larger Pearl Harbor National Parks Service operation. You can walk right in to the Pearl Harbor site - it's free. There are many other things to see and do at Pearl Harbor without a reservation. Check it out on line. The Arizona Memorial reservations are wise because its capacity is so limited ... and the site is so popular.

Tours don't start at the airport. Their pick-up is on Waikiki. You would need to take a cab to Waikiki first - then catch the tour. You would need to sync your flight arrival time, the time it takes to get to Waikiki ... and the tour pick up. Good luck with that.

Also know that for the most part, tours will rush you in and out. BUT - you don't have to go back to Waikiki with them! Simply stay at Pearl Harbor and take a city bus or cab back to the airport.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,324 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

Oh, I like E Noa tours ... if you must.

boston, ma
Destination Expert
for Western Ireland
Level Contributor
1,465 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

We took a 9 a.m. flight out of Maui and a 9.p.m. return flight. We rented a car for the day. We had a 3 hour wait to board the Arizona Memorial. Afterwards we had lunch in Waikiki and took a drive out toward Hanauma Bay. We had plenty of time to get back to the airport for the return flight. I definitely would not use a tour company.

Edited: 19 July 2014, 23:45
Arlington, VA
Level Contributor
1,420 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

I commend you for making the effort to see Pearl Harbor (or the Arizona) while staying in Maui.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,324 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

discoverhawaiitours.com/activities/…

Take a look at this. Looks fairly well-focused at Pearl Harbor. Everything else is probably just a glance out the bus window.

Robert Hawaii (tour company) is my preference, but I did not see this as an option of theirs.

E Noa doesn't fly ...

9. Re: Day trip from Maui to Pearl Harbor?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 July 2015, 06:15