We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report July 11-18 Part 1

Austin, Texas
Level Contributor
18 posts
40 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report July 11-18 Part 1

Many thanks to all here on the forum who gave such great advice.

We stayed an Honua Kai (Konea 213) and loved it. Honua Kai was well located, had a great beach and wonderful pools (my daughter was more for the pools than the ocean). We enjoyed having a kitchen where we could have our own breakfast and lunch. So a quick run down on the trip:

July 11 - Arrive mid day on Friday, no problems with car rental (Avis) but the loading line for the bus to the lot was somewhat slow). The drive to Honua Kai was much slower than I thought -- Friday traffic, cars going slow watching the waves. We called the property management when we got in the rental car. Harris Property Management was waiting at the property when we got there, showed us the unit, how things worked, etc. Dinner at Dukes -- appetizers in the bar (luckily under a grass umbrella as there was an afternoon light rain) and then dinner with a view. Very good and my daughter loved the brave birds that were ready to swoop in on any dropped or unattended food.

July 12 - Despite good intentions, no way were we getting up for the volcano. But we did make it over to Surfing Goat for great sampling of goat cheese and then to Ocean Vodka, where we had a great tour. Stopped at Mama's Fish House for lunch and it was truly outstanding. It was the best meal we had (and in hindsight, wished it had been later in the trip as all others paled by comparison). My daughter still talks about the pineapple butter sauce that was with her meal. Great service, great atmosphere and incredible food. We had an 11:30 reservation (which we almost missed as the road was closed and we had to detour down dirt roads -- someone had stolen and wrecked a school bus the night before and they were still clearing a pole off the road!) and had no problem sitting right at the front with a great view.

July 13 - Snorkeling Honolua Bay with Maui Snorkel Tours. Jeffrey was our guide and I really can't say how much we enjoyed this trip. It was one of two big "splurges" and we did this as a private tour for the three of us. He was very patient with me and my daughter, both beginners. I would have never gone out as far as we did without a guide. Some specifics (because I love details when I am thinking about an activity) -- we met up early that morning -- 7:30 ish just north of Honua Kai and suited up; they provided all the gear including short wet suits which really helped us stay out for a long time (around 2 hours). Suiting up before was good advice because the beach and entry were rocky and we couldn't have done it at the beach. He had a boogie board that he brought for us to hold onto -- and that gave me the confidence when I was concerned. We say two manta rays, 6 or 7 turtles, several eels and lots of fish. Jeffrey knew all about the marine life and was a great guide. He had snacks afterward -- fresh pineapple, banana bread, breakfast bars, trail mix, etc. We were back at the condo around 1:30 or 2, a lot more tired than expected. Dinner was Leilani's, which we enjoyed. We also shopped around Whaler's Village, which turned out to be our favorite shopping place.

July 14 -- Monday was a lazy day. We did Front Street in Lahaina, some shopping, shave ice at Local Boys (good, but the vote of the family was Uliani's (spelling) was better. We enjoyed the pool at Honua Kai. We rented a gazebo ($90 for the day) and felt it was well worth the money. The gazebos are covered, and have four loungers with cushions (which the non-rented chairs don't have). It was great to have a home base at the pool. We had gazebo D (D and E were at the pool that is in the style of a "lazy river" in front of the Konea; that pool was definitely my daughter's preference); it had stairs right down into the pool. On the pools, the next one over toward the other building is very nice as well -- it has the water slide (closes at 5 or 6 when we were there) and two smallish water falls, as well as a little baby wading area; I didn't notice a gazebo directly on this pool. The next pool in front of Hokulani tower was what I would call a more traditional pool in construction, but it was big and nice. Several gazebos were in front of it.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,708 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report July 11-18 Part 1

>>> Despite good intentions, no way were we getting up for the volcano <<<

Wish I had a nickel for every time I've heard/read this! :-) Thanks for your great reports. Sounds like you had a very memorable vacation.

Parsippany, New...
Level Contributor
288 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report July 11-18 Part 1

Sounds like a great time

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,411 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report July 11-18 Part 1

Glad to hear you had great success with Maui Snorkel Tours. These are some of the best people to learn to snorkel with on island!! What a great introduction to the underwater world. Thanks for the report!!

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,316 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report July 11-18 Part 1

What a great trip you are having. Yep, we think, I'll wake up early, but hey, that travel day is long even from Texas.

Good info on Maui Snorkel Tours. I like the details. Thanks

Prosper, Texas
Level Contributor
1,554 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report July 11-18 Part 1

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed reading about your trip. It has been years since we have been to Mama's Fish House, mainly because of price and location. But I guess we are going to have to get over there again!

6. Re: Trip Report July 11-18 Part 1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 July 2015, 06:15