We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel decision for late flight arrival

Calgary
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel decision for late flight arrival

We arrive at OGG approx 9:45pm on Oct 11 (and fly to Kauai on Oct 15). I haven't finalized whether we will stay in Kaanapali or Wailea during Maui portion but leaning towards Wailea as we haven't stayed in this region before. Regardless, due to late arrival I think we should just stay near airport and get up next morning, grab the rental car and then head out fresh. . I'm thinking that will save us from losing out on first day at resort or condo (still to be determined) since we likely wouldn't roll in til midnight.

Does this sound like a smart approach? If so is Courtyard Marriott the nicest option near airport?

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

If it were me. I would just keep going to my final resort. If you go to Wailea the airport is not as far as Kaanapali

You could be tucked in by say 11pm to 12pm or so get a good nights sleep and get up and go for a nice walk on the beach the next morning

If you stay at the Courtyard you will have to check and check with most checking at around 3pm seems like you would be wasting a day on a short stay. We have sometimes taken a late flight into Maui or have been hit with a delay we always just keep plugging along and settle down in one place

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,390 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

I have stayed one night at the Courtyard when I was on my way to Kauai and because of plane issues, the airline could only get us to Maui that night. It is a very nice hotel. That being said, I would just go straight to your accommodation. My flights to Maui always get in late and it is so nice to wake up at your place and be settled there. I stay in Kapalua which is the furthest drive from the airport up the west side. It is a very easy drive. The roads are very well marked and they have so many reflectors on the road that it is very easy to see. My in-laws, who are in their 70s, were nervous about their late arrival drive to the Hyatt in Kaanapali. After they did it, they said it couldn't have been easier.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,851 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

In my experience with similar arrival time, it's not really necessary to stay around the airport the first nt, especially if you choose Wailea area. We have been able to pick up rental car and be in our Kihei condo before 1130pm even if we add a quick stop at Safeway for breakfast stuff en route. It's an easy drive to S Maui and airport/car rental offices are not very busy that time of nt.

Also, since you won't be able to check in to your main condo/hotel until after 2 or 3 the next day and will therefore be stuck with your luggage until then, I can't see the airport stay being beneficial.

I would check into your condo/hotel that night, have a good sleep and start your vacation with a walk on the beach rather than a trip back to the airport to pick up your rental car.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

In my opinion it is not an easy drive out to Kaanapali or as far as Kapalua at night. We have done a lot of night driving on Maui and there have been a number of posts cautioning people about how dark it really gets once you make the turn heading west to the tunnel. It is a single lane, sometimes winding road with not a lot of lights and you would be tired. If your budget where to work I would head to Wailea there is a double lane highway all the way

Iowa
Level Contributor
10,875 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

Just to clarify, single lanes in each direction. Two lanes total, right John?

And I know the wisdom of the forum is to go to your resort that night. That's what we do too. But my husband drives. If I were driving, I'd stay near the airport. But that's just me. I'm a bit of a nervous driver in the dark when I'm tired. It you're at a resort or even a condo with an office, they should hold your bags next day till check in.

I don't think there's anything wrong with staying near the airport the first night if that's what works best for you. But you WILL have more island time if you don't!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

Well I am not sure about Cedar Rapids but don't know of any populated area in the US that has opposing traffic on a major road that all share the same single lane and oppose each other, might be hard to get around and drive the 30 some odd miles to Kaanapali

Did see a couple of those in Thailand though

7. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 24 July 2014, 18:36
Calgary
Level Contributor
80 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

I think you all have given good logic to just push forward and go to resort/condo despite the late arrival. Now I just have to decide what (resort or condo) and where (Kaanapali or Wailea) to book! Thanks to all !!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,390 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

Good plan! People do it all the time without issue. There are always several late night flights and all those people are heading to the resorts. Good luck with your choice! Wherever you stay..Maui is wonderful :)

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel decision for late flight arrival

You know you guys are something else. You say it is ok to drive it I say. I don't think it is as easy, that is my opinion. I am done " like in done that is my opinion". I believe it was one of your friends who talked about how dark it is driving on Mau and to be careful, the weren't talking about Hana bridges or DUIs Then Teri S sends me a post...which is not really desired, with quite frankly a silly post about one lane road to all the way to Kaanapali. if you have been on that road which I guess she has not you know how silly the response is.

In fact you described the road in detail so this is just some silly passive aggressive game

So I answered tongue and cheek and then somebody else pops in from the peanut gallery, also undesiredd about something so silly it defys common intelligence.

It is my opinion if you don't like it fine just leave me alone and don't post to me ever again. Is that fair I really don't care to hear from you at all. This is the last time you will hear from me. So you can sit and waste all your precious time on Maui at the computer picking at me but I am done. Like let's not ever talk again deal

Goodbye and Aloha