We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gypsy App

Hartford, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Gypsy App

Is the Gypsy GPS tour guide app worth getting? Is there a better one?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
44,578 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gypsy App

Cautions:

1) Be careful about distractions. You're driving ... watch the road. The GYPsy commercials are quick to criticize tour buses (and there is some truth in that), but at least folks on a bus aren't trying to drive and gawk at the same time.

2) This is a commercial venture. Are they highlighting what their sponsors WANT ... or what you should actually be focusing on?? Keep that in mind. I would be curious about what they are NOT saying or not recommending. You notice the same with some maps ... they highlight certain sponsored sites/restaurants/etc - and "overlook" other non-sponsored sites.

3) Always have a good map or two for back-up.

4) It's about the $$ - so use with that in mind.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 01:28
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
46,443 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gypsy App

I have heard great things about this app. I believe it would be "worth it" especially if you plan on a Hana journey. I might get it myself next time I go to Hana!!

Oregon Coast, Oregon
Level Contributor
797 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gypsy App

I bought it for our upcoming trip in October. Look forward to using it.

Patty

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,466 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gypsy App

It more has a running commentary that tells you history as you are driving along. It can be amusing or annoying..take your pick :). A lot of people have liked it. I used it a few times to try it. It will guide you and tell you a lot.

Hartford, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
19 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gypsy App

We will be there in October as well. Have a great time.

Camarillo...
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
4,751 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gypsy App

We've used it once and thought it was great and well worth what we spent. But for the Road to Hana, my personal favorite is still the audio CD that Snorkel Bob's sells. It's informative, entertaining, and Bob (himself!) will keep you laughing for the entire journey.

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
12 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gypsy App

Used it today for RTH and it was fantastic. Obviously doesn't have every waterfall, hike, store etc but was a great compliment for our drive. Have used it around Maui and I highly recommend it, great tidbits and stories. Was recommended it by the TA ppl in this forum.

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gypsy App

I don't have the Gypsy App, but I have the Maui Guide app for my iphone. I really like this app (not sure if it has as much information as the Gypsy app as I've never compared the two). It's nice to hear about some areas of Maui while you are driving around. I haven't used it for the Road to Hana yet, but I plan on using that portion of the app in May. For me, it was well worth the money...in fact, I even have the same app for Kauai.

Minneapolis, MN
Level Contributor
166 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gypsy App

We used it for our RTH trip in June and it was awesome! No need for messing around with maps or watching the Mile Markers, this app will tell you what is coming up next, where to park, how much time to spend at each stop depending on what time of day it is, etc. It was invaluable to us, we would have missed so much without this app!! Just make sure you bring a car charger for your phone, and an audio cable so you can hear the sound through car's stereo speakers. Make sure when you pick up your rental car that it has an audio jack. Most newer cars have them, but sometimes they are hard to find.

Los Angeles...
Level Contributor
34 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gypsy App

Worth every Penny !!! We thoroughly enjoyed listening to the commentary.

It tells you exactly what you are approaching giving you enough time .WE hooked it up with AUX cable to the car stereo and was just awesome. We bought the whole Maui trip and and interestingly it gives you the brief History which makes it an interesting hear especially for the kids.

Car Charges a must for road to Hana.

Edited: 25 July 2014, 19:25