We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Just Curious

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Topic
Just Curious

For the regular visitors how much reading have you done on the history of Hawaii and if so does it impact your visits at all? Thanks

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Just Curious

I try to read a new book before each trip. Yes they have had impacts on our visits...there is always some new place to visit...last trip to the BI we spent time on the north shore visiting the King K I birthplace and other historic places. I always seem to come back with more books on my list though...never ending tread mill.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Just Curious

I have read a considerable amount of Hawaiian history ... and it truly does open your eyes to the sights around you. Hawaii has such a different story from the rest of the States ... the fact that is was an independent Kingdom, for example.

A tour of Iolani Palace and/or some dedicated time at the Bishop Museum are also very helpful.

Although it is fiction, I still think that Michener's "Hawaii" is a good place to start.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
144 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Just Curious

BLBL,

My hubby is dragging thru Michener's "Hawaii" right now....

I've enjoyed the book "Molokai" and "Honolulu", stories about the early days of Honolulu and then the leper colony, fascinating. Hope to visit one day.

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,146 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Just Curious

Well, the thing is Michener (often) is that you have to slog through the first few chapters before things start to roll!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
4,043 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Just Curious

You want a slog try the Ruling Chiefs of Hawaii.... but you are exactly right about Michener the first 200 pages are a LOT of work but then I often think the books end too soon....

lake forest park
Level Contributor
186 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Just Curious

Agree with BLBL. Ends a great book. If I remember right it's fiction but has a lot of facts. It's been so long since I've read it I'd read it again.

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
43,283 posts
1,294 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Just Curious

I have done quite a bit, and it has opened my eyes, regarding many things that transpired in the history of the Islands.

I was probably in 2nd, or 3rd grade, when Statehood was declared. The students celebrated, and our teacher handed out paper leis, thinking that it was a great thing for Hawai`i, and all its residents.

It was not until I began traveling to the Islands, that I became aware of the strife, and intrigues involved, and I was not longer so innocent and happy.

I have amassed a small library (probably the size of all my Hawaiian guide books, and cookbooks), on the history. I can understand some of the anger and the sadness, but fear that it is far, far to late to go back now.

Just my perspective,

Hunt

Modesto
Level Contributor
460 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Just Curious

Absolutely,,,,Currently reading "The Betrayal of Liliuokalani,,,Last Queen of Hawaii 1833-1917". It is based on recorded interviews with Lydia K. Aholo, her hanai (foster) daughter. Liliuokalani had made "Miss Lydia" promise to tell er "true and complete story", which she finally did at age 92. It is fascinating, along with several other books that have been previously recommended on this forum throughout the years.

No question that knowledge of true historical accounts has made such a difference in my visits. It's much more than a tropical getaway.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Just Curious

Thanks, just finished that one. I remember one of my first trips to Maui and somebody handed me a flyer about Hawaiian sovereignty on Front St...... huh?.

Haven't stopped reading since and it makes a big difference on our trips and how we view the islands

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,082 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Just Curious

Queen Liliuokalaini wrote her own book. Thus is the one I take to heart the most.