We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Reasonable massages

CA
Level Contributor
257 posts
79 reviews
Save Topic
Reasonable massages

I've tried to search the boards but haven't found anything on this that is helpful. I'm looking for a massage that won't break the bank. Preferably around $50

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Reasonable massages

Massage school in Makawao is your only bet besides perusing the Craigslist Hawaii (Maui) ads, and even then ... I think you'll pay quite a bit more for in call service (not sure I'd wanna do an out call on a Craigslist ad..)

I remember when it was $15bucks, then increased to $25, but I believe they now charge $30 for student massage, or you can get instructor/professional for ~$65, which is likely worth the up-charge: https://www.massagemaui.com/

If you find something less expensive on island (and viable,) please check back in! :)

Alo)(a, NKO

Edited: 02 August 2014, 20:48
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
3,212 posts
58 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Reasonable massages

I agree with the massage school. My dd just graduated from one in Wisconsin. Their school massages were $30.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Reasonable massages

I would Google massage Maui. We had a massage at our condo. Not sure of the price as my wife made the arrangements. Probably more than $50, but much less than the resorts and we did not have leave home

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
56,426 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Reasonable massages

Zensations is very good:

http://www.zensationsspa.com/menu

and very reasonable too.

Reedsport, Oregon
Level Contributor
3,981 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Reasonable massages

If you are looking for a full hour massage you are pretty limited as stated above. Maui Zen in Lahaina has 30 minute massages for $55 for a Lomi Lomi and a 50 minute Swedish massage for $85.

We went there last September and I'm pretty sure it's on the agenda for next month. Look up their reviews here on TA, they are very well liked and it's well deserved. We highly recommend them.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Reasonable massages

Least expensive *licensed* island in-call is ~$100/hr (they'll likely do 30mins for a bit more than half..) Agree about "Zensations" in Honokowai - great gals! (Tina, Jackie & Heather are names I remember(?)

Edited: 02 August 2014, 21:39
SoCal
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Reasonable massages

A post that is right up our alley: We have visited the 'student clinics' of various massage schools for the past seven years and have been satisfied 85-90% of the time.

The two we can recommend are Maui School Of Therapeutic Massage in Makawao: www.massagemaui.com and Aloha School Of Massage in Kahului. Both these schools have semi-private rooms with curtains. We have also have received massages at Maui Academy of the Healing Arts: www.massageschoolmaui.com but this school does not have curtains and requires you to wrap yourself up in a sheet(toga-style like 'Animal House'). The massages at all three of these schools have been good to excellent. It really all depends on the student that you get. Most of the time we have gotten advanced students or 'just about to graduate'. You can expect to get a good to very good massage(rated by my wife who has had many massages) and I would actually rate my experience a bit higher(I like a lot of pressure and the gender of the therapist doesn't matter). The other two schools we have not had massages are: Spa Luna Holistic Esthetician & Massage School in Kahului: www.spaluna.com and Malama Healing Arts Center in Haiku: www.malamahealingarts.com/. We visited the Malama Healing Arts Center last year and it looked promising. They were in the process of building the business and said they would have private rooms, although I can't verify that has happened .

For the price they usually charge($25-30) we usually tip the student $20. That still comes out to be significantly cheaper than anywhere on the island. We usually get around three massages in a 10-14 day trip, basically three massages for the price of one, can't beat that!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,513 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Reasonable massages

Yes.. Third vote for Zensations. My husband and I just went there and it was great. A little more than your price but very worth it.

Maui
Level Contributor
119 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Reasonable massages

There are plenty of places to have an affordable massage on Maui. You just need to realize you have to forego the whole spa experience and just get a massage. Lahaina Massage is a good one, I believe it's $60 and hour. Also, many chiropractic offices employ a masseuse and have very reasonable rates.

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Reasonable massages

<< Lahaina Massage is a good one, I believe it's $60 and hour.>>

It's $85/hr, but still a few bucks less than the spa experience. 'Course Add $20.00 for deep tissue, or stones, and extra $40 for outcall, yet it's another option I've yet to experience.

I have "Angel Relax Center" near my mainland digs that does entire body one hour for $25 -- they call it a "foot massage," but they give you a pretty good full work over, basically reflexology-type ... but they'll work you over pretty good if that's your wish. I usually tip 'em nearly what the hourly rate is, but still a great deal & Maui could obviously benefit by something similar.

Rent/expenses certainly aren't any cheaper here in SF Bay Area, but Maui is obviously an entire different animal..