We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

Billings, Montana
2 posts
Save Topic
Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

I'm wondering if I should postpone our trip until a later date with the weather coming in. My family and I (wife,and kids 8 and 6) are scheduled to land this Sunday for our first trip ever to Hawaii. I'm feeling like maybe I shouldn't risk it.

Thoughts?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

Someone else was asking the same thing earlier today. But they would only have to pay a bit more money. What does your cancellation policies say? You can always the rental car with no penalty, but what about the flights and the hotel or condo?

Welcome to Trip Advisor too. I only wish you had a question that was more "fun"!

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k7688967…

Have a read through this thread. SW actually lives on Maui.

Edited: 05 August 2014, 06:14
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g60632-i109-k769194…

Read post #5. That is the one I was talking about in my post above. I am not sure what they decided to do in the end.

Billings, Montana
2 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

Thanks for the info. Man these airlines really have people by the short and curlies. To change my flight will cost me $800 and I don't know if i can get reimbursed for the upgrading of seats which cost me another $1400.

A couple more questions.....

What will the surf be like after these storms pass? Will snorkeling be doable? What will the driving be like in a downpour? My kids have never even seen the ocean so they are really excited for this trip, but will the ocean even be safe to get into after these stroms pass? I have a feeling that the airlines are going to strand us in L.A. on Sunday waiting for Julio to pass.

Island life is just so different than what I'm used to in Montana, it's hard for me to make any decisions.

Level Contributor
82 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

Check to see if your credit card offers trip cancellation insurance if you use their card to book a trip. I don't even know if that's a common thing or not but worth a shot.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,380 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

Stinks coming in for the first time to this! No one knows at this point what will happen. Although it lost a little strength it does look like Maui will be hit if it stays on current path. Hit how hard is another thing that can't be predicted. Typically surf comes up before the storm and goes down after it passes, but how long can't be predicted either. (Sorry.. A lot of unknowns!). All the rain will cause run off causing brown, murky water. You do not want to go in the ocean until it clears out. The brown water is filled with nasty stuff that washes down and it can attract sharks. Once it clears out..within a couple days usually (depending on how much it rained) you can go in to swim and snorkel. Make sure the surf is ok though.

It does stink that airlines have you...they will have to fix it though if they cancel etc. I had a Christmas trip to the Caribbean cancelled once because of weather and we moved on to plan B..stunk, but had to be done and we made the most of it.

Hope it goes well for you!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,778 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

Please take a few minutes to watch this video too. It is really important, given the weather that you are heading into.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPHBMyXDw

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
289 posts
165 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

most airlines will issue travel waivers if severe weather will disrupt flights, however we're still too far out for them to issue the waivers, stay tuned and stay in touch with your airline.

Santa Cruz...
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
142 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

Montana Todd,

Sorry this is occurring for your first trip to the islands and your children's first trip to the ocean. I live at the beach so I know the beauty that is to be seen by your family.

My hubby and I operated with always a Plan B in place, because, well, that's just how life works. Maybe you could get as far as LA and head to San Diego. Beautiful beaches up and down the Pacific Coast.

You should be fine but your concerns are valid. You are getting some really great feedback from the people in the know.

Good luck and good luck to everyone headed over. It's not a deal breaker but a bummer for sure...

Babs

9. Re: Landing in Maui on Sunday afternoon--should I cancel?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 August 2015, 06:16