We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

rain never finds me...

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
rain never finds me...

I will be coming next Wed (mid Aug) for 11 nights and while I seek places that get rain on purpose for overall hydration/moisture revival of the skin and hair -New Orleans LA, Victoria and Vancouver BC, Seattle WA, Charleston SC etc (you get the idea) I have yet to get drenched- not a day. The sun finds me even when I am ducking into the wettest lands of all time. Yep- also sunny for all but one day on Kauai's north shore (and only for a short time and really just sprinkles) and not a drop when up in the canyon, so close to the "wettest place on earth" (yea right)

I will bring my rain coat as usual, and this is by no means a weather forecast for anyone as I have no experience in anything but the hot and dry scorched earth blown over with Haboobs here, but my expectation is that there will be sunshine because rain never finds me.

Hope that gives some of you some hope. I do not want to fly into hurricane force winds mind you- just wanted to put a plug in for those of you that don;t want rain on your vacation. There is hope...

PS My husband does not share my "lack of rain" frustration and is in your boat- opposites attract I guess!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,777 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: rain never finds me...

It's a good thing you are aren't heading to Vancouver or Victoria next week then! We have had very little rain, and it is a heat wave for us... at 80 during the day.

Have a wonderful time on Maui! Hope you will be able to write a report for us when you have time, on island, or back at home!

S.F. Bay Area
Level Contributor
3,008 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: rain never finds me...

To ensure a monkey wrench is tossed into your 'til now' unfair treatment by the climate demi-Gods, I would ponder coaxing the hubs into scheduling a heli-tour/hike up to & through Pu'u Kukui's watershed. You won't lose in this endeavor, I assure you. Great read regarding another traveler's experiences with one of Maui's creators: http://tinyurl.com/lvzbms7

~Enjoy, and I hope you (just you, not the thousands of other visitors sharing island space over your travel-dates..) get your well-deserved soaking! ;)

Alo)(a, NKO

Edited: 05 August 2014, 11:13
Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: rain never finds me...

I would like to point out that Phoenix has basically been under a deluge since we've left and all we've gotten here are a couple of sprinkles here and there.... NEVER bringing a raincoat on vacation again, in fact I may just give this one away

Edited: 21 August 2014, 06:57
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: rain never finds me...

accuweather.com/en/…337843

Looks like you are doing good!!!!!

We lived in Scottsdale for 2 years and they would always say that it was a dry heat.....well so is a pizza oven.

Could not get back to the sea breezes of San Diego soon enough

Pittsburgh, PA
Level Contributor
1,315 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: rain never finds me...

Could you please visit Hawaii next May (Kauai and Maui in particular) when I will be there! LOL I'd love to have 2 weeks of no rain on my vacation.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: rain never finds me...

we have been going to south Maui in May and October for the last 20 years. It has NEVER rained and I mean NEVER. Before that we used to stay in West Maui but found that we would usually get an afternoon trade wind sprinkle. Not that big of a deal, most people didn't even leave the beach but when we go to Maui all we want is sun.

Happened last Oct hot and sunny in Wailea, we went up to Kapalua to snorkel and it rained. Seahouse restaurant closed their lanai for lunch. because of the showers.

As we drove home you could see it getting drier so by the time we got to Lahaina it was sunny again.

The worst we have gotten is the Makena Cloud in the afternoon if we stay ay the Fairmont or Polo Beach

Now just for the record. That is our experience and opinion, so before some of you go to DEFCON 1 and you know who you are, If you want to post your opinion and expertise to the forum, please do. but please just don't bother posting me about how wrong I am.

Maybe I am, maybe those visits during those months on those days were the only days it did not rain in south Maui don't know but that is what we experienced.

This is a travel forum, opinions are offered and can easily just be ignored as well

Aloha to all

Oakland, CA
Level Contributor
275 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: rain never finds me...

Fun discussion. We like warm rain--are fascinated by it. Growing up in Northern California, we hardly ever experienced it. When it rains in Hawaii, unless it's a downpour, we head out to soak some up! (And lately we wish we could bring some home for our parched garden).

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: rain never finds me...

Don't I know it we live in San Diego. I would love to have Hilo's rain for a week. Actually it did rain and thunder here yesterday for about 20 min.

You would think with having 325 days of warm sunshine at home, I could tolerate some rain on vacation.

But I guess I feel hey that's free at home I am paying for this and I grew up on the east coast so rain forecasts were always a factor in outdoor summer activity.

Tempe, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,702 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: rain never finds me...

I had to jinx myself with this post... it is raining for hubby's prized golf day and it has not stopped like I suggested it might when he was hesitant to commit at 7am... On the other hand, I have gotten thoroughly soaked walking the kapalua trail and feel refreshed and hydrated. Not sure I want to pick him up later without some sort of consolation

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,920 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: rain never finds me...

I heard on the local weather forecast this morning that there was a pocket of rain heading towards Maui. Didn't want to jinx ya!! It's moving rather swiftly, should be gone and headed this way soon!!