We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car hire costs

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Topic
Car hire costs

Hello,

We are travelling to Maui from the UK in September and are looking at car hire. We have been quoted £350 (approx $587) incl insurance for a mustang convertible for 10 days. Does this sound reasonable?

Thank you.

Denver, Colorado
Level Contributor
556 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car hire costs

If that includes all taxes and fees, that sounds reasonable. A couple of rental car tips:

1. don't make a reservation that you have to pay for ahead of time as the prices continually change and will likely drop before you arrive. We just saved $132 on our November reservation due to a recent price drop.

2. Most of us have good luck using Hawaii Discount Car Rental (DiscountHawaiiCarRental.com).

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car hire costs

Cheers rscotty, yes that price includes taxes and fees and is through Budget, but booked via the UK site. Will take a look at Hawaii Discount Car Rental as well, thank you!

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
43,985 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car hire costs

While convertibles are the touristy thing to do on Maui ... they are not always the most practical. So if you are looking to trim the cost a bit, consider a compact. They're perfect.

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,734 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Car hire costs

We (two adults) reserve the cheapest compact. Sometimes we even get that! Agencies often run out, and you get 'whatever category' for the compact price. As long as we have 'wheels' with good air conditioning (and a secure trunk), we are happy. September is Hawaii's hottest month.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car hire costs

Thanks guys, your advice is very much appreciated

I drive a convertible here in England and whilst I appreciate the weather is much, much cooler here I hate the thought of being encased in a car without the option to remove the lid!

Edited: 09 August 2014, 18:11
Saint Louis...
Level Contributor
87 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Car hire costs

You're a bit past prime time to get a great deal since you're traveling so soon. After several rebooking a I ended up with a convertible for 9 days for $290. Mid 500's was an average rate before prices went down but now they're back up.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Car hire costs

Two things we think about with a convertible

1 very little luggage space in the trunk

2. Sept is a hot month on Maui. Being out on the beach a lot

We found driving with the top down too much after a few days with the hot sun beating down

We make sure we get a car with a sun roof and that gives us some options.

Not bowing off your ball cap or sun glasses but nice fresh air and some sun when we want it

Edited: 09 August 2014, 20:03
Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car hire costs

Cheers everyone, much appreciated.

Newcastle, Australia
Level Contributor
808 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car hire costs

We have organised a convertible through Hawaii Discount Rental for 2 days on Oahu and it is costing $139 with everything included even insurance. When you go to their website make sure you go to the part that asks if you are from another country. Ours is through Dollar and I thought pretty reasonable when it includes all insurance.

Yorkshire, United...
Level Contributor
86 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car hire costs

Thanks KazAllen, that's really helpful. We also need a car for Oahu but probably only for one day, so off to look now.