We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

baby food/formula on plane?

newport beach
Level Contributor
107 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
baby food/formula on plane?

anybody know the rules on baby food/formula on a flight from LAX to Maui?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
25,183 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: baby food/formula on plane?

Yes, you are allowed to take it in carry on. Which airline are you using? Get on their website to confirm it, but I know that Air Canada and Westjet both allow it.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: baby food/formula on plane?

TSA website will tell you the info your looking for but anyting you bring will probably be tested which takes some time to do so plan ahead for a wait.

Edited: 11 August 2014, 13:34
vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: baby food/formula on plane?

We've brought all kinds of baby food and formula and containers of milk and even small yogurts with no problem to Maui, Oahu and California. Check with your airline, but we've never had anything "tested." The only problem was a banana, that had to be thrown out because of the fruit regulations.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,276 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: baby food/formula on plane?

3 times leaving SAN we were pulled aside by TSA to have our liquids "tested". TSA will dictate what you can bring through their security lines not the airline.

quick google search

http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-kids/parents-page

Edited: 11 August 2014, 15:03
Spokane, WA
Level Contributor
506 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: baby food/formula on plane?

I have traveled with baby food (the type in the pouches) on numerous flights (including to Maui) and all TSA had me to was pull them out with my liquids. They did not have to be in a zip lock bag. They ran them through security as they would the rest of my carry-ons and liquids. It didn't seem to pose a problem. Would your formula be in a dry powder state at the time of going through security? If so it shouldn't pose a problem, I have gone through security with dry rice cereal as well. Simply inform TSA up-front with what you have with you. I never had to have anything tested even when some of the pouches of food were open.

Denver
Destination Expert
for Poipu
Level Contributor
3,370 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: baby food/formula on plane?

It has nothing to do with the plane/airline regulations and everything to do with what TSA will say when you try to go through security.

I have taken all kinds and amounts of baby food (homemade as well as pre-packaged) and toddler food as well as bottles of expressed breast milk on the plane - read the TSA guidelines linked in post 4 carefully (I always print out a copy and bring it with me in case I get challenged by an uneducated TSA agent). No one is going to be happy if my kids are hungry.

Life will be easier if you pack all the food, etc in one small bag and declare it at the security checkpoint. Then the agents don't have to rifle through your bag and get annoyed at the surprise cache of pureed sweet potatoes.

7. Re: baby food/formula on plane?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 August 2015, 06:17