We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What kind of…..

San Diego
Level Contributor
471 posts
1 review
Save Topic
What kind of…..

Camera does everybody take with them whale watching? Just wondering if I should take my good one for the continuous shooting mode.

Tom Barefoot's Tours
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Maui Reef Adventures
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling, Private Tours
Let Me Show You Maui
Dolphin & Whale Watching, Eco Tours
Queen's Treasure
Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Scuba & Snorkeling
washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What kind of…..

Hubbie took our very expensive camera and multiple lenses for many years on every outing. Since we go every year, while we still live for the whales, we have stopped deleting 400 pictures, left the thing at the condo and really enjoyed the moment. We just enjoy our outings more.

If it's your first or second time, gear up and go for it...you'll get pictures of a lifetime. We have some amazing photographers on here who I hope will chime in!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What kind of…..

I take my good camera with a 18-270 lens for close ups and further away. I carry my rain jacket also to protect it if there are any splashes on a rougher day.

San Diego
Level Contributor
471 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: What kind of…..

mamma ~ it is our first time whale watching and I really want to get some great photos. But my hubby doesn't think its a good idea to take it :( But as travel bugged said carry a rain jacket to protect it.

Thanks

San Diego
Level Contributor
471 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: What kind of…..

Oh I forgot to mention that I want to do the zodiac whale trip.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,577 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What kind of…..

I'm a little addicted to whale watches..went on 7 or 8 in March :) Here is just a sample of what you can see.

https:/…

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,709 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: What kind of…..

I take my Canon DSLR with the 18-270 lens too but I did debate leaving it behind on the second whale watch we did last spring. i am glad I brought it but admit that the next one we go one next year I will most likely leave it home and just enjoy it with my eyes. My photos are admittedly never as good as the ones I see posted on TA and my walls will be full of our daughter and SIL's wedding photos soon.......so just seeing it with my own eyes will be good. But yes, for your first several whale watches it would be cool to capture your own photos. The best whale watch photos I ever took were with my inferior point and shoot Canon, on my first whale watch! Have fun! Whale watches are the best bang for your buck tour wise! Deb

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,859 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: What kind of…..

Just be prepared...our first Whale watch on the Big Island in 1996 with our kids was amazing, BUT the video we had running at the time consists of...splash "Did you get that?" Splash, "Did you get that?" No we didn't get it. Since then we have realized that sharing the amazing experience with family and friends is much better than any picture.

Hope you get some great shots on your first trip.

Iowa
Level Contributor
12,348 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: What kind of…..

I don't take any camera. I just copy Travelbugged4's awesome shots. Lol! Her's are great, aren't they?

Lombard, IL
Level Contributor
790 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: What kind of…..

Mamma has it. The type of camera really doesn't' matter if your reflexes are not great. Our pictures are pretty much water but the memories are fantastic

10. Re: What kind of…..

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 August 2015, 06:17