We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hawaii trip3

Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Hawaii trip3

Hey travelers!

I will be flying back over to Hawaii for my 3rd time and was after a little help

We fly into Honolulu and will stay there 5 nights which I know pretty well,

but for the remaining 14 days me and the GF will be making our way over to Maui

As I have not been there, we are looking at approx $100-150 per night and we will be hiring a car

but what I would like to know is what part of the island is best to stay?

doesn't matter if we break it up and stay at different locations.

also we love beaches hiking scuba snorkeling you name it so any activities you can recommend would be fantastic!!

P.S we fly over in March

Thankyou

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Hawaii trip3

Might look at Kihei for your budget. Beach town centrally located near very nice beaches. The scuba boats

for south Maui go out of the Kihei ramp and there is good shore diving in the area

If you want scuba advice there are several of us on this forum that dive Maui and can help match you with an operator based on your experience and the type of diving you want to do. Lots of good options for both

Chicagoland
Level Contributor
20,165 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Hawaii trip3

Maui is Whale Central January - March. It's a very busy season. You may need to up your lodging budget.

*Early* March can still be windy in Kapalua; I'd stay from Kahana on south. (Actually, I stay in South Kihei.) Condos are your best buy. No need to 'move house' as Maui isn't that big. You might do a night or two in Hana though.

TODAY: Reserve your rental vehicle for pickup at OGG. Small is fine. If you want to attend a luau, reserve that now too. (John, how early should he book scuba, etc.?)

See aerials and reviews of almost every lodging in Hawaii here: www.hawaiirevealed.com

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
43,041 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hawaii trip3

Like ChiSue said, March is part of prime humpback whale season. At this point I would be looking for accommodations anywhere on Maui that they are available. You may also have to up your budget a bit. The Kihei/Maalaea areas have more "budget friendly" options. As does Honokowai and Kahana.

Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Hawaii trip3

Thanks! Kihei is looking like that place recommended by most so we will start looking there for accom.

Is there a particular tour for humpback whale sightings and Scuba Diving that people use?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,109 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hawaii trip3

There are lots of options for whale watching. You can go in a raft, a catamaran, or a bigger boat. And they leave from Kihei Boat Ramp, Ma'alaea, Lahaina Harbour, and the Mala Wharf. Lots of options for you there.

If you start reading down the forums, you will see other threads on the subject. And you can also use the search engine. It is in a green box, the bottom of this page. If you plunk in "whale watching tours", you will have a lot of older threads come up. There is a button to use, to change it from relevance to date. That way you will get the most recent ones.

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,676 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hawaii trip3

If you decide to do a whale watch out of Kihei...look at Blue water Rafting! I'm jealous you get to go in whale season! Have fun planning

Edited: 18 August 2014, 04:01
Level Contributor
68 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Hawaii trip3

thanks Joan & Mickey

blue water rafting looks good!

damn next thing is getting a waterproof camera haha so many options out there

Edited: 18 August 2014, 05:14
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,109 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hawaii trip3

There's actually a thread for that too! I shall see if I can find one...

tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k7660664…

Well, that didn't take long!

Edited: 18 August 2014, 05:24
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Hawaii trip3

Soulflyer

How experienced are you as a diver?

Lake Macquarie...
Level Contributor
3,515 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hawaii trip3

Another vote for Blue Water Rafting. The 2nd best thing to do with your clothes off, an absolute bundle of fun.

If you're an activities person, then certainly consider Piiholo Ranch Ziplining. Here's a link to my revue of it. https:/…blog-768172.html