We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

Hello Everyone!

I have planned out my itinerary for Maui for the second week of September and I will be traveling with my wife and we will be staying at Hyatt Regency Maui Resort and Spa.

Please let me know what your thoughts are and if I should be making any modifications.

Day 1 -

Arrive Maui around 11am.

After checking in the hotel and stuff, hit up the Ka'anapali Beach and walk around the Lahaina town.

Day 2 -

Sunrise at Haleakala National Park - Leave the hotel around 2:30am and get to the park for the Sunrise. We plan on taking a short hike at the Carter.

After returning back to the hotel probably spend the rest of the day to relax and hit up the pool and the beach.

Question that I have here is what is the best time to leave for National Park in order to get to the location and get a good spot for sunrise viewing. Also on the way down from Haleakala, are there any locations on the way back that we can stop at?

Day 3 -

Zipline and Iao Val­ley Park State Park

Zipline at Maui Zipline (please let me know if you would suggest another zipline company) and in the afternoon visit Ioa State Park with a stop at Paia.

Day 4 -

Road to Hana. We plan on leaving the resort around 6:30am and plan on spending the whole day and returning back before sunset. I plan on buying the Road to Hana CD from Amazon for $20 and will try to stop at as many destinations as possible.

Day 5 -

We are not to sure yet on what we want to do for this day. We are thinking about going to Molokini and maybe snorkel and going on a sunset cruise. Or possibly a catamaran/submarine/boat trip.

Day 6- Depart Maui around 10am and fly to Kauai.

Please feel free to critique it. I would love to hear your feedback.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

There has been some major construction at the Hyatt adding a new tower, might check on that

Edited: 17 August 2014, 18:01
ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

Not sure if you've mapped out your routes on google maps, but you have a lot of repetitive driving - and a lot of driving in total. Also, you mention 6 days, but you only have 4 full days. The current plan has you going back and forth to/through Kahului on every day but one ... which will get tiresome. I would see if you can consolidate some of your day 2 & 3 activities.

You'll be driving through Paia on your RTH day, so I would consider waiting until you return from Hana to stop there - it's a good place to have dinner.

If you have time on Kauai, I would consider leaving the ziplining until then, just to free up some time on Maui so that you're not on a set schedule for most of your stay.

Iao Valley often gets clouded in in the afternoon, so if you can plan that early, it would be best.

2:30 a.m. seems about right for leaving for Haleakala summit ... it takes approx. 2 hours to drive there, and you'll want at least an hour or even more to get a spot at the summit and see the sky changing colour as the sun comes up.

Sunset and snorkel catamaran trips are great ... but I would split them up on different days, or perhaps just choose one. Shore snorkelling is excellent (there are a few places in W. Maui that are worth visiting) so you could do that plus a sunset sail.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

I would go to Hana on day 5. That would give you a day in between so much travel to either snorkel or explore the west Maui area a bit. Another option to the CD is the Gypsy guide. I don't know how it compares in price.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
1,562 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

IMO you are spending too much time in the car and repeatedly driving the corridor from West to central Maui. With only 4 full days I would choose either Haleakala or RTH and combine a look around Paia with either trip.

Do add at least one excursion to get out on the water for snorkeling or a sunset sail.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,104 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

Snorkeling is better on Maui than Kauai, so do consider a snorkel tour on Maui, or just head to one of the great beaches, and snorkel from shore.

Be aware that Haleakala is 10,000 feet up there, and if you hike down the Sliding Sands Trail, calculate twice the time to get back up. If you hike down for a half hour, it may take an hour to get back up. TAKE WATER!

Make sure you book a NaPali coast boat tour while on Kauai!

Have you been to Hawaii before? This PSA video is worthwhile taking a few minutes to watch it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPHBMyXDw

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

Day 1 - Lahaina? You probably will run out of energy by then. Keep in mind your body clock and the long flight. Instead, walk down to Whaler's Village and have a nice meal ... and stock up on water and snacks at the ABC Store. MUCH cheaper than buying things at the Hyatt.

Day 2 - You may want to visit the Maui Ocean Center on your way back to Ka'anapali. Makawao is a cute town.

*** Hmmm .... I see that you keep retracing your route. That's a lot of driving. I would drop Day 3's zipline and visit the Iao Needle on the way back from Haleakala.

Do you have a good map of Maui?

Catamaran sail? You don't want Molokini when you have great snorkeling so close to where you are staying. Trilogy is a highly-recommended company, and they shove off just down the beach from you! Take the early morning sail. You could do an all-day trip (to Lanai, for example) or a shorter sail that keeps you around West Maui. http://sailtrilogy.com/tour/kaanapali The views of West Maui for the water are incredible.

Skip the Atlantis Submarine ... tourist trap.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
38 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

Thanks everyone!

What's the best way to consolidate so that I can reduce some of the driving! Can I include the Iao valley on the day we visit Haleakala in return?

I can do RTH on day 5 as we'll.

Yes, we will be doing one Na Pali boat tour for sure.

Thanks everyone for your feedback!

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,122 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

I agree that you have too much driving, and like the ideas to condense the car trips. I would not personally do both the Hana and Haleakala trips with such a short stay. I'd choose one only. With your Kaua'i split, it probably makes more sense to skip Hana.

If your heart is set on both just get a taste by doing part of the Road to Hana, maybe even do Iao State Park first, a fairly short stop, then on to the Hana Highway. I agree with Susan to do the zipline on Kaua'i.

On day 3 I'd book a snorkel tour from Ka'anapali beach on Trilogy, Teralani or Gemini. If you are interested in snorkeling at all there are many great spots to snorkel from shore, and from boats, most can be better than Molokini. And there would be no need to drive to South Maui to leave. If you enjoy the snorkel trip on Day 3 you may want to rent gear to snorkel from shore at some West Maui beaches. Personally, I would leave time on Days 4&5 for snorkeling. Maui snorkeling is better than Kaua'i.

Hope you have a wonderful trip with time to relax and enjoy island time as well as see the sights.

Iowa
Level Contributor
9,122 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

How about this:

Day 1, explore Ka'anapali. Sunset cliff dive at Sheraton followed by early dinner at Lelanis, Hula Grill or Dukes. Or if you're really jet lagged do happy hour instead of dinner. I would look for some good live local music.

Day 2 Haleakala followed by Ioa Needle; afternoon nap maybe by the pool, then chill @ Ka'anapali again or Lahaina if you want. Sunset happy hour/ dinner at any of Fleetwood's, Pacific'o, Mala, Honu, Kimo's, Aloha Mixed Plate all in Lahaina. Again, I'd look for good music, maybe Fleetwood's, some big stars drop in there.

Day 3 snorkel tour leaving from Ka'anapali. If half day, you might want to drive a short way north and explore Napili, Kapalua. Happy hour or dinner at Sea House or Merriman's. Walk the Kapalua Coastal trail from Kapalua Bay to Oneloa Bay if you have a little energy. You could drive a bit farther and explore Honolulu's Bay and in to the Nakalele Blow Hole (don't get too close).

Day 4 Snorkel Black Rock, and/or Kahekili Beach north of Black Rock. Or explore north of Ka'anapali as listed above.

Enjoy your resort or head into Lahaina afterward. Be sure to stop and try Ululanis shave ice and Honolulu cookies.

Day 5 Hana Highway, if you feel like it. If you're up for a 12 hour day, drive all the way to Oheo Gulch with few stops, then home the Pipiwai Trail early. Stop at Wa'ianapanapa Park and other stops on your way back. Or, drive a ways, stopping where ever you like, and turn around when you feel ready. We had a lovely day doing that our first time. Or, skip the drive & just go snorkel again!

Edited: 17 August 2014, 19:52
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Planned 5N 6D Itinerary - First timers

We take a boat without a mast for the Na Pali as that way they can go

Into the sea caves