We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Have airfare, now what and where?

Colorado
Level Contributor
30 posts
123 reviews
Save Topic
Have airfare, now what and where?

The Mrs. and I are heading to Maui in 9 days. This is about the extent of what's booked.

We literally have airfare and nothing else.

We're after a 'non-toursity' town/area for a home base. We hope to find a last minute VRBO simply to rest our heads and get cleaned up. Is there an area on Maui like O'ahu has Kailua?

For activities, we like to do some moderate hiking, snorkeling, sea kayaking and the ever strenuous act of reading on the beach. Oh, drinking (hopefully) local beer. Any truly unique 'must experience' natural areas?

We'd gladly take any advise on where to stay, what to do, where to avoid and where to find the best poke!

Cheers and love TripAdvisor!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

Aloha and Welcome to the Hawaii Forums,

At this point, I would just do a broad condo search and see what is available for your dates. Be flexible; if you can't find all 9 nights in one condo, be prepared to split your stay.

The Road to Hana is pretty impressive.

Have you read our Top Questions? Do you have a travel guidebook?

Aloha

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,511 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

Rent your car today - this is the company many of us use: http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com/

Do you want to be near a beach? Or possibly in the Upcountry? Nightly budget? Looking for recommendations of specific properties or just areas? I liked Kihei - near the Kam beaches for non-touristy though upcountry would probably be least touristy. :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,894 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

The area on Maui that comes the closest to Kailua would be on the north/west lobe. Look at places in Kahana, Napili or Kapalua. The east side is also very comparable but that is where Hana is located and is pretty isolated. Like jet say's, at this late date, just look to see what actually is open. You are coming at a very busy time on the island.

Take a look around this web-site. On the top is Things to do. On the right hand side are the Top Questions. If you are on a mobile device you might not be able to see the TQ's. Narrow it down a bit before you start booking excursions!!

Edited: 21 August 2014, 01:41
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

(Jet ... IN 9 days, not for 9 days. Gasp!)

OK -- you're telling us that you are headed for Maui over Labor Day/holiday weekend, and beyond ... with no plans.

How many nights will you be on Maui?

What is your nightly accommodations budget?

Do you have your car reserved?

Look at Kihei and Ka'anapali and points north. Do you have a good map of Maui? A good travel guidebook?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

There will be tourists anywhere you go in Maui. Especially over Labor Day, before kids have to go back to school.

Most people stay in West Maui (Lahaina, Kaanapali, Honokowai, Kahana, Napili, Kapalua) or South Maui (Kihei, Wailea). That's where most of the resorts/hotels and condos are. And a lot of the amazing beaches are!

Kaanapali (West Maui) & Wailea (South Maui) are the two big resort areas.

Note that you can't really drive a circle around Maui like you can Oahu. And a lot of properties share a zip code with Lahaina but are actually in the other areas I mentioned like Kaanapali.

South Maui is a little closer to major natural tourist attractions like the Road to Hana and Halekala Crater Summit. Click on "Things to do" in the top bar of your screen. Also read the Top Questions to your right.

Have you started looking for lodgings yet?

Do you have a good guidebook and map of Maui? It's not tough to get around but you'll need a car to visit the different areas of Maui.

How long is your trip? You arrive August 29th?!

What's your nightly accomodations budget before taxes and fees? $150? $200? $300? What kind of accommodation amenities are you looking for? In unit washer/dryer? Air conditioning? Pool? On site restaurant? On a beach, near a beach, or across the street from a beach? Ocean view?

Reserve your rental car NOW. Maui can and does run out of cars and you're coming over a major holiday--Labor Day weekend. Use a middleman like Discount Hawaii Car Rental, don't prepay, grab the smallest car that will fit your luggage.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 01:46
Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

Aloha,

BLBL, I thought it was in 9 days and for 9 days. Must have been the shock.

I' m expecting this one to get lots of attention.... (Like our Irish friend we helped save.)

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,178 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

LOL, Jet ... yep, the shock!

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
21,397 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

I'm pretty sure he meant it when he said he had flights and NOTHING ELSE.

Time to put on the travel agent hats. {That's what the TA in TA means, right....)

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
21,964 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

Oh boy! Start with www.westmauicondos.com and see what you can find. We can advise activities AFTER you find a place to rest your head, west or south. I wouldn't be terribly picky at this point! Sorry, my friend, but 9 days out in high season on Maui is a little nuts. You may have better luck with hotels that are filling in dates.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
5,723 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Have airfare, now what and where?

Here's my foodie cheat sheet (skewed to what we like, admittedly incomplete, also skewed more towards Kihei):

https:/…8c1b0ac452844d2e11ba4592a85ff147