We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

IN
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

We are a family of 4 (with 2 girls 8 & 9), planning to visit Maui in late Mar- Early Apr. We plan to stay in a condo with kitchen. Low/Mid budget. I wonder if the beach water is warm enough to swim. Which part of Maui that has lots of free/cheap activities to do, apart from just a beach and the >100$ show/dinner? What part of Maui has the nicest and interesting family friendly beach?

Oahu, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
25,529 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

Aloha and Welcome to TripAdvisor and the Hawaii Forums,

Free things to do on Maui:

www.mauihawaii.org/free-things-to-do-maui.htm

This has some free and some not:

http://www.101thingstodo.com/maui/

I wouldn't say there is a best spot to be for the free stuff.

To me, the best part of being on Maui is her beautiful natural aspects, all of which are free for those who look.

Our Top Questions and the trip reports/threads have lots of good info.

Happy Planning.

Aloha

Maui
Level Contributor
2,613 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

For free activities, Whaler's Village up at Kaanapali has a hula/Tahitian show. All of the beaches will have the same temperature. I think the water is chilly in March, but I live here so I have thin blood. All of our beaches are family friendly and you can go to any beach here. Well unless you have to cross over someone's fence to get there. The only one that does not interest me is Baldwin Beach up in Paia. I would not want to really swim there anyway. You need to look in Kihei (south side) or the (west side) at Kahana or Honokowai. for your budget. Come back with a $$ amount and we can help you better.

Either south or west is good for the time you are coming.

Edited: 21 August 2014, 23:03
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

Just a head's up that if you are traveling the week before or after Easter - pin down that condo soon. Also reserve your car (you can check back and see if the price has been reduced, but you don't want to be caught without one).

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

Daddychu - I agree with Snorkellady about looking at Kihei. I'm here on vacation right now (4 little kids, 2 adults). I'm not sure how you vacation, but since we have a big party, I need room for us (instead of getting a suite or hotel room). I want to have the option to cook (access to a kitchen), instead of just having a microwave. I like to cook, and we tend to do laundry too since we go through a lot of dirty clothes during the week. Condo's in Kihei offer great value. I'm currently staying at a condo in facing the Kamaole Beach Park III, and it's a perfect family friendly location, directly across the street from the beach.

I suggest using VRBO, read the reviews. Call the owner directly if that will make you feel comfortable (that's what I did). I've also been writing a day to day blog, and sometime tonight or tomorrow, I plan on writing about this condo :-)

Aloha!

Camarillo...
Level Contributor
1,141 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

I agree with BLBL on the car rental as well. My vacation was planned last-minute (end of July). I booked my Full-size SUV rental with Costco Travel for about $450 (with taxes). On the night before we flew to Maui, I went to the costco website, and checked the pricing, for the same 9-days, if I booked late, I'd be paying close to $900....so book early, and watch the price.

United States
Level Contributor
5,870 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

Kamaole 1, 2, 3 beaches in Kihei have affordable condos nearby & these beaches are life guarded (not all beaches in Maui are).

Cheap, family fun on Maui:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g29220-i86-k743174…

Napili Kai also has a show with students from the Napili Kai Foundation, which might be fun. It's only an hour long.

"Every Tuesday at 5:30 pm in the Aloha Pavilion (December performances may vary) the young students of the Napili Kai Foundation present a delightful program of island song and dance. The show is complimentary for Napili Kai registered guests. For non-Napili Kai guests there is a tax deductible entry fee for the performance: $10.00 for adults, $5.00 for children 6-12. Children 5 and under are free. Proceeds benefit the Napili Kai Foundation. Call 808-669-6271 for reservations."

napilikaifoundation.org/programs/the-show/

Ka'anapali Beach Hotel also has a show.

Nightly Hula Show

Every night at sunset, the blowing of conch shells signals the beginning of the nightly hula show in the Tiki Courtyard. From 6:00pm you'll enjoy a complimentary performance of Hawaiian music and a hula show, followed by music for dancing under the stars until 9:00 pm.

kbhmaui.com/cms/View.aspx/Show/Entertainment

There will also be hula / live music shows at some of the hotels and malls for free.

Whaler's Village in Ka'anapali

Evening Performances - Every Monday, Wednesday, Saturday and Sunday from 7:00 pm - 8:00 pm, featuring Polynesian and Tahitian dance shows to local favorites.

http://www.whalersvillage.com/events.htm

Cannery Mall in Lahaina

Shows at 7:00pm every Tuesday & Thursday!

FREE Keiki Hula Shows at 1:00pm

every Saturday and Sunday!

Plus free 'ukulele lessons

every Tuesday at 5:45 p.m.

http://www.lahainacannerymall.com/

Queen Ka'ahumanu Center in Kahului

Enjoy our free hula show every Monday by Te Tiare Patitifa.

http://www.queenkaahumanucenter.com/

Shops at Wailea ** not always hula, sometimes it's live music or something else

Wailea on Wednesdays

For the most up-to-date event information, visit The Shops at Wailea on Facebook.

http://theshopsatwailea.com/

https://www.facebook.com/TheShopsAtWailea

bg washington
Level Contributor
239 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

Visit Maui the first week of April every year. Water is very nice, not as warm as summer, but you don't even notice it after a few minutes. Kihei weather will almost always be beautiful that time of year; if you go past Kaanapali you may get wind and rain. You can visit a different beach from Kihei south to the Lava fields.

IN
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

Thanks Gap4Jason. I would like to know more about your experience at the place you stay. What activities do they have, other than the beach? Since we want to visit in MAR, we can't really swim as it will be too cold. So I want to know what else we can do there when it gets a bit colder.

IN
Level Contributor
3 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

Kathryn Y, thank you so much for all your detail information. I will check them out. I wonder how you know all these :)

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Maui family free activities and the warmest beach

DaddyChu, she googles a lot and of course has been to Maui!!

You can swim in March. We swim and snorkel year round. That's the beauty of Hawaii. Temperate year round.