We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Maui

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
719 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Maui

We leave in exactly two weeks from today for our trip to Maui. To build on the excitement and to get us in a Maui frame-of-mind, I purchased a pineapple this week and baked a tropical cake with pineapple, coconut and macadamia nuts on top. Tonight I am marinating a small pork roast in Charsiu sauce that I found in our World Market store made by Hawaiian Pride Foods out of Honolulu. I will oven roast it tomorrow and make a salad with Papaya Seed Dressing Mix that I brought back from Longs Drug Store. This next week Shoyu Chicken is on the menu. For breakfast I am making strawberry/banana yogurt smoothies and pretending that they are Kula Strawberries and apple bananas, which will be my breakfast of choice on Maui.

I have updated my Maui journal to include new-to-us places to visit, restaurants, Upcountry sights. The suitcase will come out tomorrow and packing will begin. Minimal clothes although a jacket, wool socks, gloves and wool cap for Sunrise on Haleakala, snorkeling gear, my Pyrex pie plate to make a Hula Pie. Life is good!

What do you do to anticipate your Maui trip?

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
719 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Maui

I, too, got a pedicure this week! An absolute must before any beach trip. We had the Charsiu pork roast tonight for dinner and although it was tender, not too flavorful...don't think I will replicate it on Maui. Love the ideas of Hawaiian music to get into the Maui frame of mind. And, Moveme, I love your list, ditto for me, too!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Maui

Haha...so I was thinking about getting a pedicure tomorrow but we always get one on island too...a new tradition with my daughter...in addition to moveme's prep..I work out like a fiend....eat a lot less...shop for clothes that I probably won't even wear...why? Who knows cuz I buy stuff there any way...SAS.. You wILL be at the TA get together right?

California
Level Contributor
457 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Maui

I love this thread. Good to know I am not the only (coco)nut out there! Sometimes when I am really missing the islands I put on my bathing suit and crank up the Hawaiian music while I am cleaning house. DH really thinks I am nuts then. Moveme pretty well sums it up for me too :-)

Trabuco Canyon...
Level Contributor
1,060 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Maui

I guarantee you all that pound for pound I will beat you all on baggage lbs to ogg. I don't bring any food or alcohol. I just bring a need to have enough clothing with me in case I decided not to come back :). Relatives went to Europe this summer for 3 weeks with a carry on. I will check 2 max packed bags and only a beach tote as carry on that can stow under seat. I hate detailing with overhead storage :)

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Maui

Moveme...do you buy a bag in Maui to fit all your souvenirs or do you ship them home?

16. Re: In anticipation of our upcoming trip to Maui

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 August 2015, 05:16