We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
719 posts
35 reviews
Save Topic
Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

We have driven the road to Hana on three separate visits to Maui, on the first visit having made it to Lindberg's grave before turning around. Each time was spectacular with new experiences and different vistas. Due to my mobility issues, we have not accessed the Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park, thinking the Pipiwai Trail would be too challenging for me. I would love to hike the bamboo rain forest, just don't want to risk a fall. When I read TR's and there is talk of jumping over streams, I know that is more than I can handle. My question, are there sights that we should not miss? Is Oheo Gulch visible without a lot of hiking? Other waterfalls, pools? Should we take the time to drive into the park from Kipahulu?

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

At the very least, you can view the pools after an easy walk.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,918 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

The Oheo Gulch pools are are very short hike, with a bit of an elevation change so if you're able to walk a short ways on a fairly easy path, then I would recommend seeing the pools. There is a small visitor's centre, restroom facilities and picnic tables there, so you would probably find it worth the $10. - but if you're also going to Haleakala summit and go to both sites within a 3 day period, your ticket for one covers the other. You pass the parking area for Kipahulu about a mile before Lindbergh's grave - so there isn't any extra driving to access it from the main road.

The Pipiwai trail offers a lot of interest even before Waimoku Falls (that's at the end of the 2 mile hike - before you turn around and return the same way - so 4 miles in total). It's just before the falls that you have to cross the stream on the rocks. The bamboo forest is about mid way, and up to that point, you cross the stream in two places on very solidly built foot bridges. The small waterfalls at these bridges are worth seeing. The elevation change from the parking area to the bamboo forest could be a challenge though, in which case you might just want to stick with the pools and immediate area around the Visitor's Centre.

Edited: 22 August 2014, 20:42
San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
719 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

Thank you both! One of the reasons that I elected for two total knee replacements was so that I could go on hikes and walk the beach! I was just afraid of slippery, wet rocks. I think I could handle walking through the bamboo forest and across wooden bridges. I am so looking forward to trying this out and going as far as I can. I don't think the elevation will be too much of a problem. Again, thanks for the prompt responses.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,918 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

You're welcome ... hope you enjoy the area - please let us know!

One additional thought ... we love hiking, and one thing that allows us to enjoy it even more are hiking poles. The extra stability that they give you, plus the strain that they take off of your knees and hips when hiking uphill/downhill makes them worth their weight in gold. They are telescopic and lightweight, so they pack easily (probably easier in a small duffle bag than a suitcase though.) You need a pair ... i.e. 1 pole only does half the job.

Alaska
Level Contributor
10,623 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

Scooter......my mom had both knees replaced in 2008 and has never regretted doing them both! I am interested in your impressions of any hikes you do while on Maui cause my mom will be joining my husband and I, next April, for a week to ten days at the beginning of our very long Maui stay. I am so happy for the chance to enjoy Maui with my mom again and would like to take her somewhere that will surprise her, but not over exert her! I will be counting on you for trip reports.

I was not able to hike the Pipiwai Trail last fall and maybe will do so this upcoming trip, but maybe not. Time runs out sometimes! Deb

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
719 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

I'll have to look into hiking poles. I do have a travel cane that folds up which is helpful.

Deb, I'll certainly let you know. Last year we drove up Haleakala for the sunrise and I hiked to the pavilion at the top of the 2nd parking lot and was ok, maybe a little bit winded! As long as the surface is firm, it is good going for me. This past spring I was hiking on a deserted beach near Sanibel Island, FL., and walked about 4 miles shelling; if I'm on a mission, I forget how far I'm going. Plus, it was all level.

Can't wait to experience some of the Pipiwai Trail.

pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
23,514 posts
57 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

Ohhhhhh.... shelling on Sanibel. I once arrived there on a low tide after a big storm. Heaven for a shell collector.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
719 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

PZP, we arrived after a storm as well. There were lots of juvenile fighting conchs and just tons of other shells. My absolute favorite, shelling island. However, I am a beach lover! Hawaii, even the Texas coast!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XdrPso0BTfY

This may help you. I was trying to find a post from a year or two ago... someone actually posted their time lapsed you tube video of the hike. That would give you a great perspective.

I actually find the beginning of the trail the hardest, up to the bamboo tree. Just remember Scooter, just like the actual drove to Hana, you can turn around at any point and go back.

San Antonio, TX
Level Contributor
719 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kipahulu entrance to Haleakala National Park

Joan, how thoughtful and helpful for you to post this You Tube video. How beautiful it all is. I will see what I can handle. Thanks so much.