We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Humpback whale research

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Topic
Humpback whale research

I came across this on the NOAA website for the research that was done on Maui for 2013/2014 season. There is some interesting projects

…noaa.gov/science/permittedresearch.html

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Humpback whale research

That is interesting, thanks for posting this John!!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Humpback whale research

since they are already on the way........ here is another article I found interesting.

I am no expert but the increase in whale collisions just has to be because of the increase in number and types of tour boats.

Many years ago there where just a handful of whale watch tours and I remember when they banned the parasailing off Kaanapali beach during whale season and everyone thought that was really something.

isciencetimes.com/articles/6622/20140104/wha…

Edited: 23 August 2014, 20:05
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Humpback whale research

another report I read by NOAA stated the obvious that the higher the speed the greater the chance of a fatality for the whales especially the calves. They said that any collision over 10 knots with a young whale could increase the chance of a fatality greatly and since they spend most of the time on near the surface they are the ones most in danger.

I'd like them to put a speed restriction on the boats not just a distance restriction or is there such a thing already?

I'd be willing to pay more if it took longer for the tour rather than some advertisements I've seen...we go fast so you can see more whales

Just me

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Humpback whale research

Another interesting article John. Do you know when they did ban the parasailing off Kaanapali? I assumed it was when the Whale Sanctuary was brought to fruition.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Humpback whale research

You know the memory bulb is dim at least a dozen to 15 years ago? maybe somebody else could remember

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
75 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Humpback whale research

2004? …honoluluadvertiser.com/article/…ln16p.html

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
53,676 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Humpback whale research

The ban was on and off, along with the rules about distance from whales (at some points the rules were different for calves and mothers, for example) from the mid 80's until the first law went into effect in 1991. This was the year before the Humpback Sanctuary actually became 'full reality', though parts of Maui Nui and Hawaii were already designated as important area and marine areas of great importance.

The ban was struck down by the local Federal Court, in 2004...........but the case was appealed, and remanded in the end-where the prior decision was vacated. This was partially due to some determined efforts and quick action by Congress (yes, I know, lol) to step in and declare that the State could indeed make its laws more strict than the applicable Federal law. It was very complicated, dealing with Federal vs State rights, and preemption. For anyone interested, here is an excellent discussion of the legal issues:

eli.org/sites/…kaulukukui_2006.pdf

So, thanks to some really tough folks, and some great legal minds-the ban has stood for almost 24 years now.

P.S. UFO agreed, during the pendancy of the case, to honor the ban. I loved them for that, because they could have taken the money instead.

Edited: 24 August 2014, 03:39
Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Humpback whale research

The ban came on in 1986. Or 1985. I was a parasail check in back then. They were limiting the new parasail business. Licenses in exchange for Business being suspended from dec 15th

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Humpback whale research

Great info folks thank you

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
45,892 posts
3 reviews