We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

confused, so confused...

los angeles
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Topic
confused, so confused...

Hi All-

I NEED to plan a great trip for my GF's 30th b-day. The more I read, the more I get confused. This will be our first time to Hawaii

I would like to book a Marriott property as I get extra points but I'm not tied down to it because there aren't that many options. Budget is $200-250/night. October 9-13th.

The most important thing is a gorgeous beach with amazing water!! I live in los angeles and there's no point in going if the water is crappy like it is here :-)

Also want to be able to walk to the beach, have an excursion or two and, hopefully, a decent nightlife. Nothing crazy.

I've been reading about Aston Mahana at Kaanapali, Honu Kai, and Marriott's Maui Ocean Club but I'm no closer to making a decision.

Help...

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: confused, so confused...

I don't know about the resorts you mentioned, but you picked the right area given your requirements. Marriott's Maui Ocean Club has more shopping and restaurants with walking distance. You can't go wrong with any of those choices.

los angeles
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: confused, so confused...

Hey Grandpart!

Thanks for the reply.

I've heard of the Maui Ocean Club being pretty popular so maybe I'll look more into that.

I'm looking for the nicest beach, really. My GF has never seen that beautiful water and I'm dying for her to "witness" it.

Thanks again.

St. Paul, MN
Level Contributor
1,075 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: confused, so confused...

Maui Ocean Club does have the nicest beach. The other two have narrow beaches and it's rocky close to shore. From the satellite view, it looks like Maui Ocean Club also has a great pool.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,955 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: confused, so confused...

Honua Kai is a condo/resort. And they have Duke's restaurant right there.

Mahana has wonderful views, every condo has them. You are very close to the ocean there, so nothing is obstructing your view, except maybe a branch from a tree.

Both of these complexes are north of Black Rock.

The Maui Marriott is south of Black Rock, and right on the boardwalk. Wonderful access to all sorts of restaurants and Whaler's Village for shopping.

Know that nightlife on Maui is pretty tame. Most of the clubs and nightlife are in Kihei, in South Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Black Rock
Black Rock
818 Reviews
Maui, HI
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
49,839 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: confused, so confused...

I don't know what price it is but check into the Wailea Marriott in south Maui. A 5 minute drive into Kihei.

Mentioned in this post
Kihei
Kihei
Maui, HI
Colorado
Level Contributor
1,715 posts
82 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: confused, so confused...

I have friends that always stay at the. Marriott in Wailea...they LOVE it! Great beach and location...and I think in your price range.

Mentioned in this post
Wailea
Wailea
Maui, HI
vancouver, b.c.
Level Contributor
1,043 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: confused, so confused...

Are you wanting a kitchen/condo or a hotel room? The Honua kai has beautiful studios with ocean view and kitchen. Even though school is in, families with small children will be there as it is a perfect family setting. I love it there, but have to advise that we have witnessed very small children in hot tubs, pool closures due to child diaper accidents etc. .. you get the idea. It might not be what you are looking for.

I saw rooms available at the Sheraton (hotel room = no kitchen) a popular honeymoon hotel for $209 plus tax & resort fee through AAA if you are a member.

Chicago Illinois
Level Contributor
130 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: confused, so confused...

I stayed at the Marriott Ocean Club from August 4-13 ... just as Hurricane Iselle went through the islands. I loved the MOC and definitely would go back again. I enjoyed renting their chairs and umbrella on the beach. After Iselle went through, a section of MOC beach (where the chairs are rented) was pulled into the ocean. A beach attendant told me that the waves will bring the sand back toward the end of October. The beach quickly becomes rocky as you go out in the water ... I recommend water shoes. There is a surf school at the north end of MOC beach/Ka'anapali Ali condos. There are many waves in this area for beginning surfers. If you walk about 5 minutes down the beach, the ocean has a sandy bottom with few rocks. I loved the MOC, but if you are looking for a great section of Ka'anapali beach - I would recommend a resort/condo north of MOC.

Sheraton and Ka'anapali Ali get good reviews. I stayed at the Westin Resort and Spa in 2008. It was nice, but our "ocean view" room was small and overlooked Whalers Village. We had a view of Lelani's roof and were awakened by garbage trucks emptying dumpsters. The pool area was crowded (Easter time). I rented chairs and umbrellas on the Westin's beach ... we spent more time on the beach than at their pools. My daughters loved having Whaler's Village to shop at, watch the Polynesian show, eat at Lelani's and Hula Grill.

My feeling is that all of the properties along Ka'anapali Beach have their pros and cons. The best sandy beach is at properties around the Westin Spa & Resort.

los angeles
Level Contributor
153 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: confused, so confused...

Thanks for the fast responses! Hooray for an active forum!! :-)

Will definitely look into the Wailea Marriott.

I just came up on the Aston at the Whaler on Kaanapali Beach. Any thoughts on that?

How's the water/beach?

Thanks!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
26,955 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: confused, so confused...

It is right next door to the Whaler's Village shopping mall, so very convenient for restaurants and shopping.

I have heard some negative thoughts about the pool area, but if you are more of an ocean person, that may not matter.