We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car rental for overseas visitor

UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Car rental for overseas visitor

Hi

can anyone recommend a good car rental place for someone travelling from overseas please?

I had been told to try Advantage Car but When I checked TA I can see they get terrible reviews.

I have read the FAQ but wondered if someone with first hand experience may be able to help please?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
42,274 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Car rental for overseas visitor

If I were you ... I would start by talking with American car rental agencies with offices in Scotland. You'll be using the same terms, and they will have an idea of the types of insurances you need.

I would start with Hertz and Avis.

That would be my approach.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
42,986 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car rental for overseas visitor

Most of us use a broker. Discount Hawaii Car Rentals. Usually has the best prices. You can choose between Budget, Avis, Thrifty etc. I've personally had a very bad experience with Advantage (albeit years ago) that I wouldn't think of ever renting through them again.

www.discounthawaiicarrental.com

Edited: 27 August 2014, 19:18
UK
Level Contributor
43 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car rental for overseas visitor

Thanks folks.

It is the insurance I'm concerned about. Just want to keep myself right.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car rental for overseas visitor

Agree with getting a quote from Discount Hawaii Car Rental.

Re insurance - if you own a car in Scotland, your auto insurer there will be able to tell you what (if any) coverage you have that will extend to a rental (in the U.S.), and from there, you can select what you need from the insurance offered by the rental agency in Hawaii. Also, some credit cards provide some coverage (physical damage to the vehicle, but not liability) for rentals.

Here's a list of optional insurance coverages & prices (posted on Discount Hawaii's website, for Budget Car Rental Agency).

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) $25.99 - $35.99/day

Supplemental Liability Insurance (ALI) $16.84/day

Personal Effects Protection (PEP) $6.95/day

Emergency Sickness ( Non us residents only ) $5/day

Roadside safety net: $5.99/day

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,592 posts
37 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car rental for overseas visitor

<<"It is the insurance I'm concerned about. Just want to keep myself right.">>

Beebs, I didn't see your comment before I posted, so will just emphasize what I mentioned in my post ... you'll need to find out if you have any insurance that extends to a rental in the U.S. - once you know that, it's fairly easy to determine what insurance you'll want to purchase (we can help with advice on that, as will the people at DHCR.)

6. Re: Car rental for overseas visitor

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 29 August 2015, 06:17