We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

maui and kauai weather

New York
Level Contributor
43 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
maui and kauai weather

Which are the better months for weather in Maui and Kauai, July or August? I worry about rain in Kauai.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
46,235 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: maui and kauai weather

Hot and dry, generally. I would not worry about either.

If you want to increase your odds of avoiding rain on Kauai, stay on the south end of the Island.

On Maui, stay on West or South Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
27,286 posts
103 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: maui and kauai weather

The north shore of Kaua'i would be great in either of those months!

Be aware that it is hurricane season though. The Hawaiian Islands just experienced one by the name of Iselle not that long ago. The Big Island took the brunt of it.

Mentioned in this post
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: maui and kauai weather

Either of those would probably not be much different. We stay on the south side at Poipu as it is on the leeward side

Mentioned in this post
Poipu
Poipu
Kauai, HI
pzp
Kauai, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Kauai, Kapaa
Level Contributor
25,151 posts
59 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: maui and kauai weather

I wouldn't worry about rain on either island in either month.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: maui and kauai weather

Check the rain fall charts and don't. Stay in rain Forrest areas.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
13,626 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: maui and kauai weather

Both are fabulous during those summer months. As Joan said, there is a risk of hurricanes, but usually are ok. Those months are when north Kauai is at it's best. The water in the north is usually perfect for swimming and snorkeling. If there is rain..it is usually quick showers or showers during the night. It is amazingly beautiful. Same on Maui.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,922 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: maui and kauai weather

Baz

In my opinion not like you see on the east coast

i am from NY and have seen some dosies

The Pacific Hurricane season is from June to Dec

But it is different than the Atlantic season. There multiple storms travel through a small area of the carib and come up against the entire east coast of the US

In the Pacific storms have to travel over thousands of miles of open water and hit a tiny speck in the middle of the Pacific.

This past storm was a very rare event and personally we never even worry about hurricanes and we have been coming go Maui fir decades in hurricane season, most we've had is a loss of the trades due to a distant storm

passing by

Good to know about but don't think you need to plan around it like in the Carib

Edited: 28 August 2014, 15:35
Laguna Beach, CA
Level Contributor
2,083 posts
24 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: maui and kauai weather

***The Hawaiian Islands just experienced one by the name of Iselle not that long ago***

The Hawaiian "Islands" didn't just experience a hurricane it was a tropical storm, it hit half of one island and broke up when it hit the volcanoes that were higher than it. Maui got some rain, but Kona didn't.

It was only the second tropical storm ever to hit the Big Island and the last time a hurricane hit landfall in Hawaii was 22 years ago with Iniki. Even talking about hurricanes seems silly since they almost never effect Hawaii.

Rain is not a huge problem on either island in July & August and the south sides are drier, but just barely.

Edited: 28 August 2014, 16:12
Mentioned in this post
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kailua-Kona
Kailua-Kona
Island of Hawaii, HI
Hawaii
Hawaii
United States
Chicagoland
Level Contributor
22,167 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: maui and kauai weather

Summer is an ideal time to enjoy ALL of the Hawaiian Islands. You may be thinking about wind and rain over the northern portions of Kauai, Oahu and even Maui...in *winter*.

Also, national weather maps will almost always show 'rain' over the islands -- because there will be some rain in higher elevations, but not where you will be staying. The pali of Kauai are that beautiful green due to rainfall that seldom reaches lower elevations except as transitory showers.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Oahu
Oahu
Hawaii
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
50,276 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: maui and kauai weather

There is nothing better than the north shore of Kauai in the summer time. Either July or August would work. I would also check out the Kapalua area of Maui in the same time frame.

Although the "hurricane" was ONLY a "tropical storm" parts of the east side of the island of Hawaii was decimated. Tell those who don't have homes anymore it was just "silly to talk hurricanes" in Hawaii.

Mentioned in this post
Kauai
Kauai
Hawaii
Kapalua
Kapalua
Maui, HI
Maui
Maui
Hawaii
Hawaii
Hawaii