We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

Eagle, Colorado
12 posts
Save Topic
going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

Aloha! I'm taking a solo trip to Maui in early October. This will be my 2nd time there and I LOVE snorkeling. So, I plan on doing some guided tours but I would like to meet up with some people to do some shore snorkeling as well. Any suggestions?

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,097 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

Maybe you will be able to make a connection with someone on the guided tours? That would be the best way I think.

Otherwise, hang out on the beach of your choice, and maybe ask someone there if it is okay for you to join them. I am always nervous about this though, as I would never rely on a stranger to help me out if I got into trouble out there.

S W Arkansas
Destination Expert
for Kihei, Maui, Hana, Haleakala National Park
Level Contributor
10,390 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

Suggestions: First leave your name and a contact number of a family member in your beach bag for worse case. Let family back home know where you are snorkeling when you are going in the water and expected time frame you will call them back that you are out of the water. If they don't get a call by a certain time they are to call Maui emergency and report that you are in distress.

Another thing I have done: Strike up a conversation with a couple that looks like they are regular snorkelers at that sight., .they might ask you to join them, chat and find out their snorkel style and ability to see if you are a good match.

I have been asked to join a couple of small groups by striking up conversations... One person in one group said if I decided to go back to shore before they did I HAD to tell them so they wouldn't worry or I couldn't go out with them. I appreciated his frankness.

Glad you are going on an excursion, you might find another person in your situation and you can both assess each other skills to see if you are comparable.

Eagle, Colorado
12 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

Mahalo! Wonderful suggestions.

Boston
1 post
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

Hi - I will be in Maui Oct 9-16 and am seeking a snorkeling buddy. Does my visit overlap yours in timing?

Chesterfield...
Level Contributor
1 post
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

I am going to be there the first week in October. Maybe we could check out some spots together!

Colorado
Level Contributor
1,694 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

Great suggestions! Hope you find some buddies...I am sure you will

Eagle, Colorado
12 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

I will be there Oct. 3rd-9th.

Edited: 28 September 2014, 23:41
8. Re: going alone, looking for snorkeling buddies

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 September 2015, 05:16