We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

So, here's a question...

Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Topic
So, here's a question...

Okay, we are going to stay in wailea in December. I understand the south side has "better" ocean conditions in the winter. I also hear that the winds usually pick up in the afternoon. Is this the case even in winter? If we were to head up to the west side for a day, would it matter early morning or afternoon? Is there a time of day in December that is better on the west side than others? Thanks!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
3,855 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: So, here's a question...

We head to Maui each December for the holidays...we stay in Honokowai - West Maui - some days we have better conditions some days south Maui has better conditions. The winds always seem to pick up in the afternoon regardless of where you are or what island you are on (even in the USVI).... if you're going to snorkel the earlier the better or sometimes very late afternoon like around 4 - 4:30 if the winds have calmed down. And I don't think it matters what time of year ....

Edited: 29 August 2014, 15:56
San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: So, here's a question...

Well quite often this seemingly innocent question starts a raging controversy.

…sailtrilogy.com/understanding-mauis-wind-we…

Here is a nice explanation of Maui wind and weather.

We prefer south Maui for dryness as we look at the averages, others think there is no difference At anytime almost anything can happen anywhere on the island, west or south or both with an island wide storm.

Winter brings about 2-5 winter storms to the state. Where they hit and the severity is an open question each year

We like to be on the beaches that sit at the base of Haleakala as that is an imposing block for weather heading our way from the normal trade wind pattern of ENE. however a storm can give you just as much rain

to the south as the west.

The only place I don't recommend in winter is Napili and Kapalua for wind and rain. As you can see on the chart they are in the windward side of the island which generally has more rain on average.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it....

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: So, here's a question...

actually Napili and Kapalua are in the Green zone meaning more rain on average working on the deslixia

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,119 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: So, here's a question...

I don't know if this is your first trip to Hawaii or not, but this PSA is worth watching when you have a few minutes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7MvPHBMyXDw

I think taking a day or even two for the west side is a great idea, even if you are not going to jump in the ocean. You can spend a few hours in Lahaina easily, enjoying the art galleries, and Ululani's shave ice! And you have to see that tree too! It's down by the harbour, and if you choose a weekend, you may find a bit of a market there. Another day you can drive north to Honolua Bay, and keep going to the blowhole. Wonderful drive up there. Then turn around and come back, maybe with a stop at DT Fleming Beach, or Kapalua Bay. At Kapalua Bay, you can walk along the coastal trail for gorgeous views.

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: So, here's a question...

>>>We prefer south Maui for dryness as we look at the averages, others think there is no difference<<<

Did you actually read the link you posted? It shows Ka'anapali to Wailea in virtually the same band and Napili a little higher.

I've stayed at Napili Kai over Christmas several times and don't recall significant rain.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
44,992 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: So, here's a question...

It's always best to do any ocean activities no matter where on the island you are in the morning. Trade winds tend to pick up in the late morning/early afternoon hours. For exploring it really doesn't matter what time of day you go!!

The trade winds blow their strongest during the summer months. In the winter, there is always a possibility that they die off and then it's warm and muggy!!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,091 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: So, here's a question...

The south and the west are basically the same for weather and somewhat surf conditions...if you look at a map. "South" actually faces west. Also looking at rainfall totals it is basically the same. The west up through Kaanapali also can be affected by south swells although it is a little more protected.

As you move to the northwest..that is the area that can be affected by north swells...it depends on how big the wrap around is. When you get to the north areas of Napili and Kapalua..that is when you hit the windward side and has the higher rain totals. The rain there comes in a few more passing rain showers and a lot of the rain comes at night. It can still be very beautiful there. Last Christmas we had 2 weeks in Kapalua without hardly any rain even at night. It just all depends what is happening at the time.

I do all my snorkeling mostly in the morning. Sometimes the afternoons are ok in more protected areas, but generally it is best in the morning. As Joan said, it is great to explore all the areas..especially if you haven't been. Now that I come multiple times a year I tend to get lazy and don't move from my beach...but it is a beautiful island with any different things to see.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: So, here's a question...

yes I actually did read the post because I wrote it.

if you would take a second to take a deep breath I said we prefer south Maui because of its dryness. I didn't say that there were not other places just as dry but that is what we prefer....that is why I posted the Trilogy explanation because it shows what is leeward and windward......is that ok with you..... it really means a lot to me to have your approval

Edited: 29 August 2014, 18:38
Salt Lake City, Utah
Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: So, here's a question...

Thank you everyone! I appreciate your help :)

Corona del Mar, CA
Destination Expert
for San Diego, Orange County, California
Level Contributor
52,658 posts
422 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: So, here's a question...

>>>We prefer south Maui for dryness as we look at the averages, others think there is no difference<<<

So the answer is obviously, NO, you did not read the link nor your own post since from YOUR post it is obvious that YOU think there IS a difference despite the fact that YOUR link says there is NO difference.