We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

advice on 2 island trip

Beautiful PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
108 reviews
Save Topic
advice on 2 island trip

Hi, my wife and I plan to spend 5 nights in Maui and 5 nights on Hawaii island. Enough time for each one? This is our 1st trip to HI. Don't really mind to go to any two island. Any advice is welcome. Thanks a lot!

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: advice on 2 island trip

we have done that several times, with a combo of Maui and BI or Kauai.

It will give you 2 completely different experiences. We stay at the Kohala coast on the BI

gohawaii.com/big-island/…kohala-coast

You might post of the BI Forum as well Shea is a BI Expert and she is a great source of information

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: advice on 2 island trip

If you only have 10 days, I would only split with a smaller island - the Big Island itself needs about 10 days. When are you coming?

Beautiful PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: advice on 2 island trip

1st two weeks of 2015. Are 5 nights enough for Maui itself or I need to plan more?

California
Destination Expert
for Oahu
Level Contributor
45,244 posts
19 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: advice on 2 island trip

Hi!

If by "Hawaii island" you mean the Big Island of Hawaii ... you may be short on time. It's a BIG Island, and you should consider staying in two places.

If you mean the Island of OAHU as "Hawaii island," 5 nights is more practical.

Please understand that you could spend all 10 nights on any ONE of these Islands and still find plenty do. At least 5 nights would be a good start.

Edited: 29 August 2014, 19:06
Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
12,599 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: advice on 2 island trip

That is a hard question to answer...I haven't had enough days on any island yet and I spend. Lot of days! 5 days 2 smaller islands, you will get a taste of each, but no way will get "it all". How do you like to travel? Do you like to be on the go and see a bunch of things or do you like a combo of relax and sight seeing. My preference is one island for that amount of time and do a combo of relax and sightseeing, but plenty of people will do 2 islands. It all depends on your experience. As Coalminer said, the BI DEs will recommend longer for the BI because it is Big!

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
13,315 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: advice on 2 island trip

Agree that 5 nights is quite short for the Island of Hawaii (the Big Island). I would devote all 10 days to it and stay most of the time on the Kohala Coast and 2 or 3 nights in Volcano.

Usually it's recommended to spend a week per island ... but we've done two 10 day trips where we've done an 8/2 split between Maui/Oahu and Kauai/Oahu (on Oahu we only had time for the Waikiki area, Pearl Harbor and exploring on the south side of the island.) Our trips now are for longer stays per island ... usually 2 weeks/island.

You'll lose most of the day getting to Hawaii, at least half a day moving from one island to another, and then depending on what time you're flight returns on your final day, you may only have a partial day then ... so with a 5/5 split, you are down to approximately 4 to 4.5 days per island.

San Diego...
Level Contributor
2,484 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: advice on 2 island trip

5 nights is not enough for any one island to see it completey. It just depends on what you want to do. Really see most of one island or get a feel for 2 deferent islands. Any one island can keep you busy for 10 days.

My wife and I did Singapore, Thailand and Hong Kong in 14 days. We only saw a little of each but it was a great trip and we got the feel of each country and the culture.

Sure lots of airports, customs, airplanes, but we just roll with it...different strokes for different folks.

Certainly with the short distance between the islands you can visit 2 in 10 days if you wish

Big Island, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Island of Hawaii
Level Contributor
27,915 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: advice on 2 island trip

The BI is more than five times the size of Maui. So, no, definitely not enough time on the Big Island, not even for the major sites. I agree that I would either spend the whole time on the Big Island split about 75/25 between west and east (it's really like two islands) or split between Maui and Kauai both of which are more doable in five nights.

Kapaa, Hawaii
Destination Expert
for Maui, Hana, Oahu
Level Contributor
47,407 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: advice on 2 island trip

5 nights is fine for Maui, not enough but doable!! If you want to split with the island of Hawaii you need at least a couple of more nights. 8 would work for the island of Hawaii or spend your whole time there splitting between sides.

Beautiful PA
Level Contributor
8 posts
108 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: advice on 2 island trip

Very helpful !! We decided to split between Maui and Oahu. 5 nights each ...... then plan to come back :)

Thank you everyone!