We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Topic
lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

Aloha. We are returning to Maui next Feb. On our last two trips we spent our first night at Paia Inn and then drove to Hana the next day, staying there two nights before coming "back to civilization."

That is our plan again, except Paia Inn is not accepting reservations for that time period right now due to renovations. They are supposed to get back to us when they have opened up reservations again.

In the meantime we are seeking an alternative. We have liked Paia Inn for the location in being able to wander the town on foot and I'm not sure that's possible from any other lodgings.

Would you opt for Inn at Mama's fish house or somewhere else?

Mahalo in advance!

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,865 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

I personally would love a night at Mama's Inn...it is so beautiful there. That would be my choice!

washington
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
22,172 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

Well, I'd opt for Mama's in a heartbeat. Not really walkable to Paia but on my short list for future stays. The discount offered for dinner is another enticement!

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
24,028 posts
85 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

Another vote for Mama's Fish House! And make sure you use that discount!

What time does your flight arrive? I wonder if you would like a place Upcountry instead, something really different.

Peoria, Illinois
Level Contributor
179 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

We loved our stay in the studio cottage at Mamas...so fun to walk to dinner and very reasonable $175 a night I think.

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

Count me in on the votes for the Inn at Mama's Fish House! We spent our first and last nights on Maui there last trip, and really loved it. The 1st night we stayed in one of their cheapest rooms. It was large and well thought out. Not fancy, but super comfortable and charming. The last night we stayed in a Jr Suite and it was simply gorgeous! No matter what room you stay in there, you get a 15% discount on meals at Mama's Fish House, fresh fruit basket with homemade banana bread, and yummy coffee ready to brew. Flowers on the towels in the bath, etc. Very nice touches in all their rooms.

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

Okay, I think I'm sold! I'll check availability at Mama's!

We'll probably just relax right on that property because it looks so lovely for the evening (flight comes in at 3:30) and the next morning, then just hit the natural foods store in Paia before starting for Hana around noon the next day.

Then we can combine some more time in Paia for the shops etc with our visit to 'Iao Valley and/or Haleakala/upcountry later in the trip.

Mahalo and aloha!

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,586 posts
1,069 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

<<Would you opt for Inn at Mama's fish house or somewhere else?>>

We spent three lovely nights at The Inn at Mama's Fish House (paying there, and passing on three more free nights at the Ritz-Carlton), and were not disappointed. We had a lovely cottage, immediately besides the restaurant (fears of noise did not materialize), and the accommodations and service from the staff were excellent. We plan to stay there again.

Good luck,

Hunt

Phoenix, Arizona
Level Contributor
38,586 posts
1,069 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

<<The discount offered for dinner is another enticement!>>

Mamma,

Wonder if that is new, since our last stay? If not, then I do not believe that we got such an enticement - or maybe I had too much of their wine to remember... ?

Will check that out next time.

Mahalo,

Hunt

Orlando, Florida
Level Contributor
3,710 posts
87 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

LOL, I think you will be happy with your choice, Newyogini! And the folks that answer the phone and check you in are SO nice! I don't know if you've eaten at Mama's before, but it's kind of neat to be able to enter that back gate and "sneak" right into the Mama's Fish House waiting area (it will bring you in right behind the little booth-like place where you check in for your reservation. We kind of felt like rock stars. LOL!!!! And of course the view right in front of Mama's is so, so lovely! You can just walk over to enjoy the views from the beach there, even if you aren't eating at Mama's. :-D

Portland, Oregon
Level Contributor
627 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: lodging suggestion for one night in Paia?

No, we have never eaten at Mama's before. We've considered it for sure, but hadn't been there yet. We've never even been on the property so it will be a nice addition to this trip for sure. And yes, their website does say that all room guests do get that discount on a meal.