We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Beachfront condo on Maui choices

Linden, Michigan
5 posts
Save Topic
Beachfront condo on Maui choices

My husband & I are traveling to Hawaii to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary in October (2 weeks, staying 2 nights on Oahu, 4 nights on Kauai, & 7 nights Maui).

We are currently booked in a 1 bed ocean view condo at the Aston Kaanapali Shores resort.

My travel agent picked this location for us but I am second guessing it.

Can anyone out there help me decide between a couple of properties.

Here's what's important to us:

Ocean front preferred but ocean view ok

condo with kitchen as well as washer/dryer preferred

mid range-upscale/luxury..........$300/night approx budget

we are in our mid 40's and don't require a lot of "activity" prefer quiet/uncrowded if possible but nice beach, where I can walk each morning

nice pool but doesn't have to be elaborate-hot tub &/or sauna would be a plus

bar or restaurant on site nice but not a must

we will be renting a car so will be able to drive where we need to

Properties I have "narrowed" down to:

Aston Kaanapali Shores-inconsistent rooms

Aston Mahana-inconsistent rooms

Aston Whaler-haven't read a lot on this one

Honua Kai-(although partial ocean view is quite a bit higher priced than others full ocean view or ocean front)

Any advice would be appreciated, pros/cons of each property. I have to make a quick decision as my final payment is due later this week and agent needs to make any changes prior to final payment.

Maui
Destination Expert
for Ka'anapali, Haleakala National Park, Maui
Level Contributor
46,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

Honua Kai will be the top of this, by a long shot. It is the newest resort on Maui, and very nice condos, furnishings, etc. Also very large spread out grounds and amenities.

The Mahana and KShores are nearly next door to each other. Since you are booking through Aston with them, the rooms will vary. The Whaler is down on the 'main drag' of Kaanapali Beach, which may or may not suit you. Best beach would be there. Older property, not a lot of bells and whistles.

Given that we are slower now, I would go with Honua Kai and smile sweetly at check in...........you might get upgraded.

Maui, Hawaii
Level Contributor
8,395 posts
186 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

K shores has a gym , mini mart, massage, beauty salon, retail and kids program, tennis court and restaurant and bar.

Honua Kai has a deli, spa and restaurant and is newer. .

Many properties that have individually owned units are inconsistent. To be represented by a larger management company your unit must meet their standard. Some individual owners , that do their own bookings, decorate to their own style. Some go way above standard and some below. Some have their

Units well stocked with amenities and appliances and others do not.

Minnesota
Destination Expert
for Maui
Level Contributor
11,548 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

Honua Kai is the newest/nicest but you won't have the same view as the others....very nice property though. The other thing you can hope with KShores or Mahana which has great views..if you don't like the first they give, they "may" be able to switch you to better.

Whaler is in the busiest area of Kaanapali but convenient to Whalers Village next door.

My guess is you could be happy at any...if view is most important I'd stick with KShores or Mahana but if a really nice place and resort..Honua Kai.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

If they are booking thru a travel agent (as indicated), then they would be booking Honua Kai thru the resort, not a private owner.

K Shores is super dense to me, always has been. I also am not sure where the construction is there or at the Mahana right now, another reason to go with HK.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

Mahana is our first choice because of the incredible views (all units are ocean front.) We book condos there through VRBO, where it's easy to find a nicely updated one ... but perhaps not this close to your travel dates as updated units on VRBO book up from months to sometimes a year or more ahead. If you book through a travel agent, I would make sure that it's a premium unit as that will ensure an updated one.

Honua Kai is a very nice resort ... but it might be a little busier than you'd like because it appeals to families with young children.

Last October on a family trip to Maui, my husband and I stayed at the Mahana (it was our 4th stay there) and our daughter, her husband and their young children stayed at Honua Kai (the resorts are next door to each other.) They missed the fantastic view that the Mahana has (they had stayed there on a previous family trip) but liked the pools at Honua Kai for the children. The unit at HK had no advantage over an updated unit at the Mahana.

You can do long walks along the beach from the Mahana and Honua Kai - also, walking on the beach walk is another option ... it goes for about 2.5 miles south - past the busy stretch of Kaanapali Beach (where the Whaler is).

Units at both resorts have a/c and in-unit w/d. There is a restaurant on site at HK (Dukes), but not at the Mahana (but it's only a 3 minute walk from the Mahana to Dukes.) Pools at HK are much nicer (not important to us as we swim mostly in the ocean) - but if pools are important to you, then you'd probably like HK better. Mahana has a hot tub ... HK likely has a few.

Linden, Michigan
5 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

Thanks so much everyone for your prompt replies.

I think it's a toss up, they all have pros & cons, just have to decide which is most important to us. My agent (a good friend) says she thinks we'd be happy at the Shores but I'm just not sure. She did say the rooms they book are "set aside" for them so I am assuming they have to meet certain standards. She also mentioned that any of these properties would likely offer an upgrade upon check in due to the "slower" season.

I think most important to us is ocean front and "low key" that's why I am leaning towards the Mahana. One "con" of the Mahana though was ongoing construction which I read is to be completed by end of this month. We arrive in Maui on 10/13. And also that it's an older property but do believe they have "premium" upgrades.

The only ocean front available at the Shores are 2 bedroom units and I doubt they'd upgrade a couple to a larger unit such as that (esp for free).

I know we'd be happy w the Honua except for the views..........no ocean front available only partial ocean view

And I have no interest at this point in trying to book directly from an owner. I'd much prefer to leave the reservations in my agents hands.

Thanks again and if anyone else has anything more to offer, much appreciated.

Maui
Destination Expert
Level Contributor
46,725 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

It sounds like the view you are going to get at K Shores is the same you will get at HK.............'partial ocean view" to one is often "ocean view" to another, it can be slippery in advertising here.

I would still go with HK--but if you are determined to have ocean front, take the Mahana and hope.

Nanaimo, Canada
Level Contributor
23,381 posts
76 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

We stayed at the Ka'anapali Shores when we took our three kids. But that was in 2010. I actually wrote a letter, the kind with paper and pen, and a stamp.... to the management about what I was after for our "package" that we booked with Air Canada. I could not believe the difference that made! You bet we got an upgrade! I was blown away by the condo, and our kids could not believe it either! It was such a beautiful unit, stainless steel appliances, and just gorgeous. Only downside was the very hot LOFT, as the manager decided to give us more room, as we were a family of five, and had booked a two bedroom. Our son loved that loft! But we froze on the main floor, as the AC needed to be running 24 hours a day to keep it from over heating.

Two pools there, and a hot tub too. There is a restaurant there, but we never used it. Entertainment there, and we enjoyed that, as it was keiki performing. Beach out front isn't great for swimming, but it is a short walk to a nicer section of beach.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

When I looked at Aston's website for the Mahana for your dates, there wasn't availability (I was curious if they still had premium units ... and was surprised to see no availability at all.) If it's that busy at the Mahana, it's likely to be fairly busy at the other resorts too, so I would be concerned about counting on an upgrade if you've booked a standard room ... my feeling is that if an updated unit is important to you, book it in the first place ... if you don't really care, then take a chance on booking a standard and hope for an upgrade.

We were on Maui at the same time last year ... it's a popular time. Weather is fantastic, ocean temps are very warm and accommodation prices are reasonable. Probably not as busy as when there are school breaks, but not as quiet as one might expect.

ON, Canada
Level Contributor
12,612 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Beachfront condo on Maui choices

<<"I'd much prefer to leave the reservations in my agents hands.">>

That is convenient and since she's a good friend of yours, it would probably be awkward cancelling the booking now and finding your own accommodations, but I'm curious how your TA decided on Kaanapali Shores ... has she stayed there? I'm not familiar with it other than it's location (which is just a few resorts north of the Mahana and Honua Kai). But, the 'second guessing' on your part, that you mention in your first post, makes me wonder if you wouldn't be happier picking a unit ... you don't have to work with an owner - there are reputable agencies on Maui that manage rentals for owners. If Honua Kai is of interest, I would check with these 3 agencies if you want to pursue it further:

http://www.westmauicondos.com/

www.kaanapalibeachrentals.com/index.php

http://www.harrishawaii.com/