We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

NYC
Level Contributor
35 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

they seem to have the most decent rates... What's getting us is it costs more than half of what we're paying for the 4 extra days we'll be there than it does for the whole week?

Kuala Lumpur...
Level Contributor
1,359 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

And rightly so because four days is MORE than half of a week !

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
5,630 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

weekly rates are always less. Never heard of Brand X but it appears discount hawaii car rentals is offering cars from them, and I like Discount Hawaii ... so it should be okay. You might go through Discount Hawaii (If you aren't already). They are reputable and usually have some of the best deals.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

So far the cheapest rates I have found are through Hotwire. 22.95 for compact up to 26.95 for standard straight daily rate.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
588 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

Just went to the discount hawaii site. They are cheaper by a few dollars. Sounds good to me. Brand X, Acme whatever. Thanks for the info.

Boston
Level Contributor
55 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

I think Brand X is just a random rental company Hawaii Discount gets a quote from. When I selected Brand X the first time, the quote they gave me was through Thrifty. My friend got a lower quote from them through Alamo a few weeks later. I think it's just whoever has a good price at the time you ask.

Try Priceline. I never used them before but did so based on recommendations on this site. I got a Compact for $14 a day for 10 days. I have the option to upgrade to a midsize for $3 more per day. Total rental will cost me $205 for 10 days. I thought that was okay since I didn't get the car as part of a travel package and I am not a member of any of the rental places. Only drawback I see is there is no cancellation policy through Priceline. If you buy it, you own it...whether you use it or not.

Hope this helps. Good luck with your trip planning!!

Kelowna, Canada
Level Contributor
189 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

I believe Brand X is Discount Hawaii Car Rental's name for whichever car rental company has the lowest rate. In the two times we have reserved Brand X with Discount Hawaii, the confirmation came back with Thrifty as the company selected.

Chilliwack, B.C.
Level Contributor
540 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

I just booked 14 days @ 15.00 per day with priceline, for a compact. for the first 2 weeks in November I am very pleased with that, but I also wonder if I could have done better. Oh well!

Cheaper than last year.

Haiku
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

The alternative, discount car rental places in Kahului are Word of Mouth and ; as low as $120/week for economy size.

Word of Mouth’s quote was $180 per week or ~$208 with all taxes/fees for only Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla, 4-door automatics with AC

Discount HI showed $28 per day as cheapest economy

Maui Car Rentals, Inc. at 800-567-4659 had $120/week up to

$165/week for economy - Toyotta Corollas, cheaper rates were for older models from 1997 for $120 range up to $165 for 2005 4 door Toyota Corolla LE

To compare – remember to add road tax = $21 per week [$3/day] for all rent car companies plus state sales tax of 4.167%; + Concession Recoupment Fee (8.1%); and finally Reg. Fee & Weight Tax ($0.50/day)

Haiku
Level Contributor
721 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

The alternative, discount car rental places in Kahului are Word of Mouth and Maui Car Rentals; as low as $120/week for economy cars

Word of Mouth’s quote was $180 per week or ~$208 with all taxes/fees for only Nissan Sentra or Toyota Corolla, 4-door automatics with AC

Discount HI showed $28 per day as cheapest economy

Maui Car Rentals, Inc. at 800-567-4659 had $120/week up to

$165/week for economy - Toyotta Corollas, cheaper rates were for older models from 1997 for $120 range up to $165 for 2005 4 door Toyota Corolla LE

To compare – remember to add road tax = $21 per week [$3/day] for all rent car companies plus state sales tax of 4.167%; + Concession Recoupment Fee (8.1%); and finally Reg. Fee & Weight Tax ($0.50/day)

10. Re: Ever hear of Brand X Car Rentals?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 September 2009, 20:17