We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

inexpensive places to eat?

pittsburgh
12 posts
Save Topic
inexpensive places to eat?

going to Maui in 18 days...can anyone suggest inexpensive places to eat near shereton?

lwj
Norcal
Level Contributor
2,278 posts
333 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

Depends on what you consider inexpensive.

At the Whaler's Village on the lower level is a food court that includes a McDonald's, a pizza place and maybe some asian fast food. I have not eaten there in years. The Village is just south of the Sheraton past the Kaanapali Beach Hotel and the Whaler condo complex.

In the Kaanapali Beach Hotel is a restaurant that is supposedly very reasonable.

You can try CJ's Deli/the Comfort Zone is just up the hill in the Fairway shops.

A couple of miles North of the Kaanapali Resort is Honokowai. At 3600 Lower Honopiilani Rd. is Honokowai Okazuya and Deli. The food is good and the prices are reasonable. Items range from Teriyaki Steaks, Maui Onion Burgers, Lemon Caper Mahi Mahi to Chicken Katsu, Garlic Eggplant and Black Bean Chow Fun. Limited seating, most people phone in take out orders.

Kihei, HI
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

Kaanapali Beach has been painstakingly honed over the years to exact money from your wallet as efficiently as possible. When you stay in that area you are paying for convenience. The operative word here is PAYING. For "inexpensive" you DRIVE north to Honokowai or south to Lahaina.

South Bend
Level Contributor
243 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

We stayed at the Sheraton for a few days this past March - you are going to have a great time! Loved the beach/snorkeling there. Definitely agree with the suggestion of Honokowai Okazuya and Deli - not too far away and definitely worth hopping in the car for. Just know that this is a takeout place and also I do not think it is open on Sunday. Also from what I remember I think they only take cash. We also enjoyed Cilantro in Lahaina if you like Mexican. Have fun!

Boston, MA
Level Contributor
195 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

One of my favorites is Jonny's Burger Joint. It's out in the middle of the golf course underneath Giovanni's (on your left as you drive in from Rt 30). Very low key, big pool table for the locals to use. Very good burgers, passable nachos for an appetizer, and very good fries.

For breakfasts and lunches, the Sunshine Deli is on RT 30 (in a strip mall just up the hill to the north from the entrance into Ka'anapali) is a great place.

I also like to grab big salads (and other stuff from their deli) from the Star Market up on Honokawai, and sit out on the lanai with a nice white wine at sunset.

Iowa
1 post
Save Reply
5. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

First of all be sure you have a car and dont spend all your time at your resort. Maui is so beautiful and has so much to see and do that you need to get out and really explore. That will expand your dining options as well. A great book to get for $7 is "50 Thrifty Maui Restaurants" on Amazon. Lots of great local places in there with great food and decent prices. I used it all last week on Maui and it was a great tool. "Maui Revealed" is also a must have and it has plenty of Dining reviews. For the ultimate inexpensive meal go to McDonalds. The mainland dollar menu is used here and they have amazing banana pies you dont see on the mainland. Do go out for one nice expensive meal and the place to do that is at The Waterfront restuarant in Maalaea just south of where you are at. It may have been the best meal I ever had! Take the drive on the round around West Maui and a little village near the end has a lime green stand that sells the best banana bread in the world. Made by a lady names Julie. The Big Wave Cafe in Kihei was the best for breakfast. Excellent biscuits and gravy and their Ultimate Pancakes were amazing. Decent prices as well.

The Bakery
Level Contributor
9,526 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

Allow me second Okazuya and Deli. Two thumbs way up. It is as good as everyone says and very, very reasonable.

Aloha Plate Lunch is OK and in a GREAT spot on the harbor in Lahaina across from the Cannery Mall and next to Old Lahaina Luau. I liked their lemonaid. Skip their duck. It was very tough.

folsom
Level Contributor
242 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

tasty crust either in or near wailuku is cheap...very very local dining...no plip plops, no service.

pittsburgh
12 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

ok-sounds like a car is in order..where is the best place to rent one from? Thanks for all the help!!

dcj
texas
Level Contributor
376 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

We ate at Giovanni's Tomato Pie last week and it was one of our best meals in Maui. Most entre's $12-15 dollar range. Service was a little slow but that seemed the norm in Maui. It is located at the entrance to the Kaanapali resorts so is very close to the Sheraton.

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
20 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: inexpensive places to eat?

The Aloha Mixed Plate is a great value. The food is wonderful, there is a great view of the boats, and it's near a fabulous luau. You should check it out!